Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Shekel Of Tyre If Its Faked Or Real?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  01:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nevada42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Don't know much about Shekels so I'm here to find out.Thank you for any input you can give me!

Edited by Nevada42
04/29/2019 01:42 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
983 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum...I'm sure a pro will be around soon to let you know...out of my field..good luck
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Size in millimeters and weight (if known) in grams, please.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15545 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nevada42: to the CCF !

These coins are frequently faked and sold to the tourist industry, due to their high significance in Biblical history. As such, genuine examples can be quite valuable, which leads to a high temptation for them to be faked. If is is a fake, it appears to be quite a good quality fake.

I agree: weight and diameter need to be known.

Lack of face detail on Melquart looks to be very indistinct, but I will not dismiss this coin on that feature alone.

The edge detail suggests to me that the metals that make up the alloy have a difference in their melting points; some of the metal tries to be melted and some tries to be solid.
The result is what you see in the edge picture.

Tyrian shekels had a high percentage of silver in the alloy - round 95% - about as high as the ancient were able to obtain with their refining processes.

Relative to what is written above an XRF test would be desirable. What you would be looking for on the alloy analysis is:
silver percentage should be high - certainly more than 93%.
The mix of other metals in the alloy. If it is only copper, then it can be safely assumed that the coin has been made from a modern controlled alloy.

Edited by sel_69l
04/29/2019 07:39 am
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sel_69 That was a good observation of metal content. Is that mixture of metal with different melting points expected for ancient silver? I think most ancient silver from 400 BC to 150 AD should have very high silver content (95% or more) but they have some copper and other small impurities but would that small impurity can cause such edge?
Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  09:00 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

I agree with the others, size and weight will e needed along with some larger images.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15545 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver has a MP of 960 deg C,
Copper has a MP of 1083 deg C.

Tin has a MP of 232 deg C,
lead has a MP of 327 deg C.

If there is a significant amount of lead or tin in the alloy, the paste range would be large with of some metals melted and some not. A large amount of tin or lead would compromise the high silver purity of a genuine Tyrian shekel.

The 'cheesy' edge suggests a large paste range, but that needs to be confirmed with an XRF analysis.

It must be remembered that XRF is a non destructive test, and only analyses the reflected X-Rays from the surface of the coin for the metals and their %age present.
If the coin has been silver plated, XRF cannot analyse the proportion of metals underneath the plating.
Nevertheless the silver plating, if thick enough, should analyse as pure silver only. If a genuine coin, then all of the remaining 5% of trace metals should all show up in the analysis.

Most commercial gold bullion or scrap jewelry buyers should have a hand held XRF testing instrument. They will most probably charge a fee for their service.
Edited by sel_69l
04/29/2019 10:20 am
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevada42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just bought a scale and it comes in as 12 grams but fluctuates between 12-13 cheap thing lol. The coin is 2.4 cm or 24 mm. I'm using my phone for pictures so I tried to get better ones but not much better.

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know, as an important coin, these are not just sitting around unclaimed with no tags. So I think you might be so kind as to tell us the pedigree as you must know where you got it. We can check the references and find where they got it from even as public coins are mostly visible transactions we can search online.
Learn More...
United States
22403 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge looks right, however the weight is a light should be 14-14.5 gram. The bust detail is soft but that can be from wear. It's difficult to say for sure from a few pictures.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yazul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am not an expert but based on this article and what I see on edge it could be a pressed forgery:

http://www.calgarycoin.com/referenc...katane01.htm
Learn More...
United States
73293 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15545 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2019  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take your coin to a local pharmacist, they may be interested enough to weigh your coin more accurately.

At 12 grams, the possibility of this example being fake increases.

echizento has advised correctly for accurate weight for Tyrian shekels of this period.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05