Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Addition... A Rare Denarius Of Galba

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1177 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  3:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It has been a while since I have added any coins to my Galba denarii collection. When I saw this I was struck by the portrait. I love the variation of portraits within the denarii of Galba. The ones from Spain (presumedly Tarraco) are some of the strangest imperial portraits I have ever seen. This one is no exception.

I also like the full legends. This is one of the longest legends I have seen for Galba-particularly for Spain. Many of the Spanish denarii have IMP GALBA or IMPERATOR GALBA for the obverse legend. I have also wanted a denarius for some time with the SPQR and wreath reverse. However the ones I have seen until now have been from the Rome mint (RIC 167). I really want one from a Spanish mint and one finally appeared.

I am very happy to have won this coin.

Galba, 68-69 Denarius Tarraco (?) April to late 68, AR
19mm., 3.33g.
Obv: SER GALBA IMP CAESAR AVG PM TR P; Laureate head r.
Rev. SPQR / OB / C-S within oak wreath.
C 288. RIC 62.From the M.J. Collection.
Ex: Naville Numismatics Live auction 49 Lot 439 May 12, 2019.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Learn More...
United States
22287 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4173 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of character in that portrait. I'm reminded of Piero della Francesca's portrait of the Duke of Urbino - very similar schnoz.

Congrats, Andrew.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11092 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@orfew, a very nice pick-up to be sure, but I do have a question. I understand that many of these Roman coins had SC (senatus consulto) or CS (cives servatos) on them but why are those two letters so spaced out on this particular coin? Any idea?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1177 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry @Spence I have no idea. I have seen the same thing on other coins using this reverse such as Claudius and Vitellius denarii and I have often wondered about this myself. The spacing seems to be preserved on coins for those other rules as well so I presume there must have been a reason. Great question I am just sorry I cannot answer it.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2231 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice coin. Congratulations upon adding it to your collection.
Paul Bulgerin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11092 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2019  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok no prob @orfew. At first I was thinking that the spacing was to indicate that the CS was not a word but rather the first letter of two words, but the spacing on SPQR isn't that way. Maybe one of our other Roman experts knows?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1152 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2019  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can only make a suggestion : the transscription is : senatus populusque romanus ob cives servatos : the senate and the people of Rome for having been the preservor or saviour of citizens , all in a oak crown . Sometimes there is also indicated :PP pater patriae and then it is writen in three lines : spqr/pp/obcs without spacing .(see RIC 41 for Claudius) .
SPQR is always written without space because it means : the Roman Senate and People has said , decided... it is one entity
SC : senatus consulto is written with or without any space on coins because it is an expression : by decision of the senate : a genitive (senatus) and an ablative (consulto) , it is not one expression,term
the same for CS cives the substantive and servatos the participle , it is not one expression , it can be separated and the most important thing is symmetrie on the coin .
So , on this coin you have a square with ob in the centre .
It is a very nice coin , congrats. albert
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05