Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crumbling Silvers Prices .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10645 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  8:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've noticed lately that a lot of guys are selling off their common 90% silver lots . I assuming it's the ever spot prices that are either stagnate or falling . 5/15/19 $14.75 an once . They might be figuring let me bail out now before it goes any lower .
However it might be a good time to invest in 90% silver coins or bullion , if you have extra funds to do so but taking in my opinion a big gamble . What ever you do don't take the words from those TV ads that are telling you to buy silver now because it will go up to $100 an once ; When in 50 years ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100 dollars per ounce? I've seen them here...saying 200 per ounce,because of the high demand in electronics and manufactoring...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10645 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah Greasy you forgot the solar panels for California .The say every home in Cal would be required to have solar panels some time in the near future . Supposedly they require silver for their manufacturing . $50-$100-$200 an once possible ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3292 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My experience in investing in asset classes is:

- when you are excited about the future prospects of the asset and are eager to buy more, it's probably time to temper future expectations
- when you are worried about the future prospects of an asset, it's probably a decent time to buy
- when the mere mention of the asset makes you want to be physically ill, it may be time to back up the truck and load up

Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ TBOP..that's true all new homes constructed most have solar panels...one of the many reasons I'm looking to leave
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3665 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Phones have gold and silver in them. Everyone on the planet has one, homeless people and babies included. The skyrocket that everyone expected came and went. So unless we're going to magically use less electronics as a species, or find an alternative to these metals in outer space, then don't expect the prices to do anything interesting ever again.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  01:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ACWhammy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I don't understand is a lot of 1 oz bullion coins are selling at $6-8 over spot. Like the South Korean ones, even several of the maple leaf varieties, libertads, etc. are being sold for high premiums. A coin dealer once told me that when silver goes down, premiums go up - but how long can that be sustained? Will premiums be $10-12 over spot if Silver drops to $10 an ounce?
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The trick is to keep an eye out for low-premium specials. There are so many dealers, and each one has a different special on different days or weeks. You can often save a few bucks on a 1-oz round that way, or a coin like the Austrian Philharmonic or Mexican Libertad.

On the other hand, if you want a specific coin/specific year, like a US Mint commemorative silver dollar or (say) a 1995 Silver Eagle, the premium will usually be higher, though you might get lucky by waiting and bidding low on eBay.

"Junk" silver coins are pretty cheap right now, especially if you don't care which kind you get. The WWII nickels can be especially cheap per ounce of silver.
Edited by Pauldog
05/17/2019 02:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3679 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  07:44 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
War nickels I can usually get at or below melt
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10645 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion War Nickels are not a very good way to invest in Silver at only 35% wouldn't waste my time unless I was able to buy a 4,000 coin bag for $1,000 . ( 0.25 ea. )
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Price appears to be dropping after breaking through the $15 floor.
Interesting to see how low it goes.

I'll buy all the way down...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3661 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In my opinion War Nickels are not a very good way to invest in Silver at only 35% wouldn't waste my time unless I was able to buy a 4,000 coin bag for $1,000 . ( 0.25 ea. )
Same with the 40% silver Kennedy half. They just don't appeal to me as a long term holding.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3665 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"In my opinion War Nickels are not a very good way to invest in Silver at only 35% wouldn't waste my time unless I was able to buy a 4,000 coin bag for $1,000 . ( 0.25 ea. )"

"Same with the 40% silver Kennedy half. They just don't appeal to me as a long term holding."

I agree with both of these statements. I would go as far as to say that 90% silver isn't even silver. As a coin, silver is obsolete, and totally unneeded with x-ton presses in existence, as opposed to cast then hammer-die coins of the Roman period where soft metals were NEEDED for this hand-made process. Why use silver - what are its properties? At .925 it's softer than 18k gold, easy to manufacture (goldsmiths learn with silver before moving on to gold, then the platinum family), best lustre of any metal (for one day lol, 18K gold is better), and affordable. Other than that, why bang out coins in silver alloys? Silver for use in coinage is really not needed unless you're doing a deep-draw on a press, going for ultra-high relief where other metals will crack under pressure.

The only reason (I can think of) that silver was still being used for coinage is because of tradition and to insert the illusion of value into the tokens. Look at the silver Mexican peso from the 1950s-1960s at 10% silver. It's presumably 90% copper the way it bends and reacts to heat, as I've tried to make rings from these gigantic honkers. In a land where there is no shortage of silver, it sort of made sense, but as a value holder that coin is a massive joke.

.999 silver is in fact silver, without the need to refine, therefore you lose 0% because you don't have to refine it to get at your silver. I find it quite unbelievable that people pay premiums for anything less than 100% silver elements. That alone tells me where their minds are at, that they value the dollars more than the silver, hence I can't see any reason to own the silver when the dollar is what they are really after; just hold your dollars or start a business.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10645 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Libertad > I can understand where your coming from with the .999 silver versus 90% silver coins . But I think your missing the concept of the classic coin collector who will pay a premium for a SLQ or LSD that he needs for his set .
Your views are unfortunately for investment only .
There are a lot of dedicated coin collectors on this forum who don't need to or want to stack silver bullion . But instead would be more happier with acquiring silver coins with Numismatic value .
JMHO .
Pillar of the Community
United States
3082 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless one understands micro and macro economics and trends, along with dollar strength, then commodities are nothing more than a gamble. Plus the amount of 3rd world recovery and recycling plays a role. Then there's also the argument that if these TV sellers are so sure the value will rise, why are they selling?

Having said all that, I personally am neutral on this metal at this time and I don't think there will be a breakout in any direction soon.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05