Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Most Unbelievable Find 1864 2 Cent Coin

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love this thread, the unbelievable find, and the answers to it lol, when I was a youngster, we used the cheap radio shack metal detectors to find, well mostly old coke and Pepsi's cans, but on occasion we would find some old coins, but terribly degraded.

I saw one post about all coins above water, and maybe that includes above dirt and widow sills lol, just a great thread.

Sometimes not only are you guys conservative on your grades, all though I have to admit, usually right....

Sometimes you got to be a liberal on the sense of humor, this is great stuff LOL

Was there a recent death in the family? "Arthur 1981" Dudley Moore, lol
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Edited by farrider11
05/17/2019 10:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4443 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- OP....please let us know how it grades! Good luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1568 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was either ruined by a harsh cleaning after it was "found", or the story is bogus.
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2019  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was a fairly common practice in the mid-19th Century to nail silver or gold coins in door frames for "good luck." I haven't encountered any copper coins deliberately embedded in houses, however. Over the years, I have bought and sold a holed 1852 Type I gold dollar and an unknown date holed Carson City Seated quarter that very likely were such "good luck" pieces.

A window would not be a likely place for such a coin. A house that old would have had windows refurbished several times over the years, lubricating pulleys, replacing sash cords and retrieving sash weights. I could see someone placing a coin in a window much later than construction, though a two cent would be an odd choice of coin.

Every date of the Two Cent series has Chinese fakes, but I am not aware of an 1864 large motto fake. The Chinese replicas have widely spaced and elongated denticles. They generally have unevenly aligned letters in CENTS. They also have incomplete leaves, especially on the left side of the wreath. (The fake 1864 small motto also has the wrong number of feathers on the left arrow shaft.) I don't see any of those indicators here, and the coin appears to be genuine.

It would really help to see better photos of the coin. Using a cell phone in natural light would produce better images. Would you be willing to post additional photos?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6829 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2019  06:59 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin looks good to me, disregarding the story, It could go uncirculated, maybe it's very hard to tell from the photos. The one photo of the reverse at an angle shows what appears to be light wear on the horizontal shield lines, this is often the first place wear shows itself on Two Cent Pieces. If it's not rub or wear than I could see this coin in a MS62/63 BN or RB holder. I am not seeing the look of a lot of original mint luster, but that is due to the photos and lighting.

My grade from these photos? AU58 I'm basing that on what I think is light rub on the shield only, I don't see the look of a cleaned coin though.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05