Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1560 Lithuania Halfgroat

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3957 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  7:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a coin I found today kicking around in a shop's box of unsorted material. I recognized it as being Lithuanian, and have subsequently identified it as a halfgroat of Zygmunt II. Just under 20mm in diameter with a weight of 1.2 grams. It's silver but I can't find a specification as to fineness. Although this type is supposed to exhibit coin alignment, this specimen's obverse and reverse are oriented almost exactly 90 from each other.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
05/22/2019 11:00 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13058 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2019  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@LC, as you know, our own @giedrius is the expert on these as he literally wrote the book on Lithuanian Half Groats: http://goccf.com/t/282866. I realize that this book covers slightly earlier time period (AD 1495 to 1529), but therein a fineness of 6/16 (37.5%) is mentioned. Until he weighs in with a more accurate answer, I would use this value.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
22564 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  04:03 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always like this coin type but haven't gotten around to buying any yet. Nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2457 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pickup!

I think a number of the "How Far Back" gang have one or more of these in their collection, as they are a very affordable/available coin that ran from the late 1540s to mid 1560s.
I just checked mine on alignment, and they are all over the place (medal/coin/90 degrees) though the majority (including my 1560) are close to medal alignment.
According to Gumowski, fineness specification was 6/16 (37.5%) from 1545-58, and 5.5/16 (34.3%) after 1558.

There are a large number of variants of this type, so I hope @giedrius will eventually get a look at yours. In a quick look through the WCN archive, I did not see the variant with L/LIT (respectively in the obv and reverse legends) in recent sales, so I think yours may not be one of the most common variants? (but best for a real expert to weigh in)
Edited by tdziemia
05/23/2019 07:01 am
Valued Member
Lithuania
324 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  09:53 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations! Great and rare coin with LIT at the end of reverses legend, 4SA182-24 and RRR (!) in E. Ivanauskas'2014 catalogue. Silver fineness is about 375 only by the same catalogue. The same legend and rarity, but different Ivanauskas number on Polish auction https://wcn.pl/archive/119669?q=1560+wilno+&page=4
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Edited by giedrius
05/23/2019 09:55 am
Valued Member
Lithuania
324 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  10:00 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picture from Ivanauskas book:
Pillar of the Community
United States
3957 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Great and rare coin with LIT at the end of reverses legend, 4SA182-24 and RRR (!) in E. Ivanauskas'2014 catalogue.

I assure you that this is an instance of the proverbial blind squirrel finding an acorn. Living up to my moniker, I guess.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
3957 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does my specimen correspond to one of the Kopicki numbers (3259 through 3263) for this date?

Colligo ergo sum
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add romancoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool coin!
Valued Member
Lithuania
324 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lucky Cuss, no, this coin is not included into Kopicki book. Kopicki did not paid attention to interesting A on reverse of the coin. Ivanauskas was the first, who published this coin in his catalogue.
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add steviegetz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just picked up one of these too! There were a bunch on ebay. How could I resist such a cool coin from the 1600s with mint luster for $10 bucks! Nice pickup!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13058 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just picked up one of these too!

I hope that you are planning to add pics to this thread when you have your new coin in hand. Always nice to drool!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05