Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893-O Morgan Grade?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  12:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I co-worker brought in some coins for me to check out, and there was one in particular I would like CCF's opinion on. I guessed XF45-AU50.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
27599 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do the magnet test.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try and go get a weight and magnet test. These have been in my co-workers family since the early 1900s. His grandmother owned a store and saved about 2 dozen morgans from people using them to pay. I did the ping test and it's definitely silver.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27599 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,weight and magnet test. I am no pro but I kinda have a feeling,it looks suspicious. It is a high dollar coin if real. Good luck.
John1
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't stick to magnet and correct weight. I think this will be the last pic I'll be able to get

Edit: (See below)
Edited by mail187man
05/22/2019 1:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36757 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck and let us know!
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is anyone able to nail down a grade?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4443 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna go somewhere around XF40/45. Tough coin to grade based on those pics.

The ticks on the rim between 8 and 10 do not help the coin either.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36757 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say EF-45.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures aren't great, but perhaps XF-45.
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, counterfeit.

Compare the "3" on your date with the "3" on the date of a known genuine 1893-O.

Your coin:

Genuine 1893-O:
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, are there any other indicators this may not be genuine? If so, I was sure fooled. It's not my coin, my Co worker brought them in to show me. He said they were passed down from his grandmother to mother in the 70s, and his grandmother got them from a shop she owned well before that. Unless he made all that up to see if he could fool me. Either that, the rest of the Morgan's he had were indeed from his family, and this 93-O was acquired at another point from a family member and put with the rest of them.

Either way, if there are any other indicators you guys see, please let me know. I will need to break the news to my coworker if the general consensus is that it is fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm leaning towards genuine. The date position and mint mark are a pretty good match for VAM-2. Sharper pictures of the date would help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4443 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still think it is real.

We can cuss and discuss it here for the next month and still be in a headlock about it. Only way to know for sure either way is 3rd party grading.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27599 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If real,it is worth around $500-$700. You could send it in to ANACS and see for sure if real or not.
John1
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.99 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05