Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1891 Indian Head Penny Cent Should I Use Acetone To Clean

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
161 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  8:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello guys, I'm considering weather to clean this coin, but I'm skeptical. Is Acetone ok.
Thanks in advance.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36729 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is always a safe bet. What is it that bothers you on this coin? Can you show it in true color?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10838 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone will do nothing to benefit your coin . And don't use anything else on it. As mentioned it would be beneficial to all to see the true color of this coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, More images. thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2019  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see much dirt or grime on your cent that acetone would remove,however a 2 to 3 minute soak won't hurt,just rinse with distilled water after..IMO
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9752 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  02:58 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone won't do anything for your coin. It's fine as it is.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
6829 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  04:34 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't see any need for acetone, it only removes organic materials, if the coin feels greasy or has an oily sheen to it then it's a good idea. You certainly aren't going to hurt by experimenting with a low value coin. A short soak won't affect the color. I would NEVER rinse a coin with distilled water as that can leave moisture spots or moisture in tiny crevices that could do real harm down the road, unlikely but still. acetone will completely evaporate normally within a minute or so. Use it outdoors or at an air extractor booth only. try not to get acetone on your skin as it is known to be carcinogenic.

Moisture, humidity and light is coppers enemy.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27595 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Acetone is always a safe bet.

I have to respectfully disagree. I have used it on a few copper cents where it turned it a whitish color.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10838 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree. I have used it on a few copper cents where it turned it a whitish color.
John1

John , are you sure that was Acetone and not Bleach ?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27595 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that you mention it...but no it was the same acetone I have been using for years.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36729 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must admit I've never heard of that before!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/23/2019 08:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10838 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neither have I and I've been using 100% acetone for years on copper cents with no problems .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27595 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever that was on the coin stayed there and turned whitish?
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
1508 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the acetone was pure, I wonder if it might have been something that leached out of the container you used?
Pillar of the Community
United States
908 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To John's experience, most likely the deposit was already there, which could have been some oxide or material that was saturated with oil and grease. The acetone remove the oil from the deposit, which can cause changes in appearance to white. It's related to increasing the variation in refractive index in the deposit by removal of entrained oils.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Believe7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, very helpful inputs.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05