Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1735 Mexico City 8 Reales

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  2:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JBongo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm new here, but I've been reading some of your forums and there seem to be some very knowledgeable and helpful folk about!

I have recently come into possession of this 8 reales coin. 1735 from Mexico city. Basically, I'm wondering whether it's genuine, and if so, would it be worth grading? I can still get my money back if it is a fake, so no harm done if it is. :)

I've done a magnet test, which shows it is silver (slow slide down).

It weighs 26.45g

Thanks all in advance.

P.s. Sorry the pictures are sideways, I couldn't figure out how to turn them.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
825 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will withhold judgement as to the authenticity of the coin, but welcome to the forum.

I will say that other metals will also slow down on a rare earth magnet slide, but the higher the conductivity, the more it will slow. Of course, magnetic coins will come to a complete stop.
Pillar of the Community
United States
928 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More tests can be done for silver.
Magnet slide is not foolproof.
It's good that it is slow, but that means to me more should be looked at.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you got a certificate of authenticity that indicates it is shipwreck salvage, I would return it. It clearly has some kind of environmental damage (maybe genuine or maybe faked) which will make it difficult to authenticate.

Learn More...
United States
72097 Posts
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  04:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JBongo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all your comments and welcomes.

I realise the magnet test is not 100% guaranteed. But it's a pretty good sign.

I contacted Daniel Sedwick (of sedwickcoins.com) who said:

"Impossible to tell for sure without examining it in person, but at least I can tell you the details are correct, and given the amount of corrosion I would expect the weight to be about 25 grams (if not, then more likely it is fake). It has the look of a coin from the Rooswijk shipwreck of 1739/40."
Edited by JBongo
05/26/2019 04:18 am
Valued Member
Spain
79 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txabs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like it. I don't think this environmental damage is natural, and the edge is terrible :(
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I contacted Daniel Sedwick (of sedwickcoins.com)

Excellent choice for an opinion.

Now, what do you plan to do with it?
Edited by jgenn
05/26/2019 11:55 am
United Kingdom
3 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JBongo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, he seems to know his stuff. Very kind of him to get back to me so quickly as well, and give his opinion for free.

I'm wondering about getting it graded now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
981 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you like the look of this coin and don't plan on selling it, then keep it. I don't think it's worth the cost of grading.

On the other hand, since you have connected to Dan Sedwick, you probably know that his website has coins for sale and he runs a quarterly auction of reputable examples. You might consider returning your coin and then buying or bidding on one with Sedwick's provenance.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05