Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Needed To Identify Roman Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1379 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  3:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can't seem to find this one anywhere its approx 12mm maybe Victory reverse with chi rho? I was thinking Valentinian II or III but can't get anything to fit?
Any help really appreciated thanks Paul

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5579 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see DN AVGO - NIIIIVG

My money's on barbarous pseudo-imperial. This was one of the most common designs during the imperial breakdown of 430-476, so the Goths just made more; sometimes literate, sometimes not.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn I think you're right and this looks to be a very good example. I've only come across nice examples of radiates, does that make this coin rare? I'd like to know so if I come across something like this, I'd know what to pay for it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1379 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help Steve thats interesting..
And theres me searching Arcadius and the 2 Valentines for a couple of hours. No wonder I couldnt get a match
I paid $10 with a couple of other worn coins..
And just liked the look of it..Paul
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4142 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a really nice example, too - not seen a full obverse legend on one of these before.
Learn More...
United States
22352 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might even be a Visagothic based on a Roman type coin, especially if it was found in Spain.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1379 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys...Do you think what I paid was ok?
Just went with my feeling on these coins without any research...I tend to do that sometimes when I like the look of something and its really cheap..

Also any ideas where I can search for this type of coin?

Thanks again Paul
Edited by Palouche
05/25/2019 6:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Arcadius, contemporary imitation. DNARCA-DIVSAVG (or similar). Note the usual "PF" is missing. The reverse prototype is SALVS REI-PVBLICAE, perhaps Nicomedia with staurogram in left field and [S]MN[A/B/Γ] in exergue.
Edited by Kushanshah
05/25/2019 7:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1379 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks KS....My first contemporary imitation...Cool!
Must say the bust is a good interpretatiion of the official coin...

Interesting about the staurogram..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staurogram
Pillar of the Community
United States
656 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is an overview of Roman imitations in the introductory section of the Dumbarton Oaks Late Roman catalogue, ('Counterfeits and Supplementary Coinages', pp. 69-72). The full catalogue can be downloaded for free here: https://www.doaks.org/research/publ...he-dumbarton

Most of the work on imitations of Roman bronze coins has focused on earlier periods but similar economic principles would be applicable to the time of Arcadius. Pierre Bastien's seminal study 'Imitations of Roman Bronze Coins, A.D. 318-363' (ANS Museum Notes 30, pp. 143-178) is also available for free download: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt...000108391198

These downloads are authorized by their respective publishers.
Edited by Kushanshah
05/26/2019 04:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1379 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2019  04:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your time and great info KS
Really appreciated will take a look.. Paul

ps..The more I look at this coin the more I like it...
Edited by Palouche
05/26/2019 5:33 pm
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilegicvs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul - A day late, here is a similar imitative coin from my collection. Probably Theodosius, Victory with trophy and captive, Christogram in the left field. If you count the "letter squares" on the obverse, appears to be same number of letters as "DN THEODOSIVS PF AVG". The lettering on the reverse is "IIIIIIII..." I thought I was buying a Theodosius coin with a few other mystery coins. This is another late-Roman (395 AD?) imitative.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05