Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Interesting Coin Shop Bargain Bin Finds

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  01:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CurrencyLooker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In this thread I will show the interesting finds from the junk bins. A couple days ago I picked up some coins from the bargain bin at around 25 USD per coin. Here are some of the coins:

1937 Crown.

1902 2 Kroner

Will post the rest if people want.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1108 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickups!
Valued Member
305 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A shop that has a 25 USD bargain bin !

I'm afraid to ask what the regular stuff is like.
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  04:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CurrencyLooker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm afraid to ask what the regular stuff is like

Most of the stuff is actually quite normal, the bin is more like a "too lazy to sort" bin and the price really depends on what you picked.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2675 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a coin shop in Santa Rosa California that has multiple junk buns ranging from a bucket of $8 per pound to $20 each. A great place to spend a day!
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was in a shop last month the had a 25 cents junk box. I pulled maybe 4 dozen UK large pennies out of it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15781 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My LCS has a range of values for bargain bins: $20, $15, $10, $5, $2 and $1. Don't do $1 or 50 Cent bins any more, - too much rubbish to dig through.

Having said that about low value bins, they are still the best way to build date and mint marks sets of low denomination coins.

I have Cherry picked my way through the $20, $15, $10, $5, and $2 bins, 3 or 4 times a year, for the last 40 years. The efforts of this type of cherry picking have resulted in a desirable collection of about 1,000 World coins, of all eras and cultures. I still have them all.

In the early days, I was picking out nice condition Roman denarii and small Greek silver and some nice Roman bronzes, (perhaps 10% of the finds), the rest very nice condition World bronze and silver, up to crown size.
Only very poor condition ancient coins are found the bargain bins these days.

CL: You have achieved a value multiplier of something around 5 to 1 catalog value to purchase price, which is around what I have always aimed to achieve for myself.
It always helps if you have a good feeling about what the catalog value may be of what you are considering to buy.
That only comes with many years of cherry picking experience. It helps if you can maintain a lifetime interest in numismatics - that can be aided by watching the value of your collection grow.

A big bonus: when you research your collection as it grows, you get to learn a lot about World history. That can be very satisfying.
Edited by sel_69l
05/27/2019 09:18 am
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CurrencyLooker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sel_69l, you are a wise person.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2675 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I built my world type coin collection from junk bins. After so many years it is hard to fined new stuff and my focus has changed, but it is always worth a look at a junk bin.
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CurrencyLooker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2019  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wish I had a LCS... we do have some bourses but that's a travel.

KK
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CurrencyLooker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
More, please.

Just you wait jbuck! Will post some real good stuff later.
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just you wait jbuck! Will post some real good stuff later.
Excellent!
Valued Member
Canada
87 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CurrencyLooker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ask and you shall receive jbuck!

Time for the Cuban stuff!

1932 Un Peso

1933 Un Peso

1934 Un Peso

1953 Un Peso

Told you there are some nice stuff coming.
Valued Member
305 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2019  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay says Cuban coinage is not allowed on it's site but I still see them being transacted. Why this double standard ?
And why is this embargo still in force, Cuba is no longer that evil dictator state it was in the 70s.
But I think if the embargo was lifted then all Cuban coins will nosedive in price.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05