Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A Norfed! Liberty Dollars, Etc.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 6,051Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  1:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was interested 10 years when the wheels fell off the wagon with the scandal, I recently got back in to it.

This is my first installment

The LLD Hallmark stands for "Liberated Liberty Dollar"

If you have a Norfed post a picture, I'm sure there's a whole lot of Hallmarks out there.

Edited by Chopped Triumphs
06/08/2019 1:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3036 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should google norfed it has all the info to make a decision on (investing in them )
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never said invest in them. I did google them and met a few RCO s along the way.

I want this to be a fun topic so everyone can share.
06/08/2019 2:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6662 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally see them as a historically significant coin (oops...medal) for a number of reasons.

The design, to me, is better than almost everything the mint has put out for awhile now. Of course my avatar says something about one of my favorite NORFED coins.

One of these days I hope to get a good pic of this coin (oops...medal)- this one is awful.

I also like the specially designed/minted one for Chambersburg, PA. I know one of the locals who had a hand in this design.

I also like the PA state design on its REV.

I have an extra of these somewhere.

Although planning on relocating soon, I live in Chambersburg and moved here just before the abuse of power that stopped the minting of these. At that time, people used these in local stores right along with US money.

I have some $1 currency, but no pics, and its packed and ready to move!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Edited by Earle42
06/08/2019 3:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's awesome earle42 .. I wish I could afford gold

I get what you're saying. only 1000 of those were struck .
06/08/2019 4:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6662 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Admittedly gold is typically out of my price range as well. I had some other things of value (glass insulators) from my other hobby that I sold to afford this coin. I may be proven wrong eventually, but I see it as something the coin hobby eventually categorizes like the Bechtler gold coins.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold off my small collection of them years ago. Kind of wish I hadn't. If I see one again for near melt I will get it. I did keep this.

Pillar of the Community
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! I don't know what rock I was living under back then, but this is the 1st I've heard of this.

Great story.

Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoyed the information provided. Not something that interests me, but at least ill know what they are if I buy any collections that have them. I'm pretty certain I've sold them for straight bullion in the past
Pillar of the Community
United States
6662 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@thisistheshow
Yup - like mine. Because these were used here I was able to get some with sequential serial numbers as well as one that was marked specifically for Chambersburg...sold that one on ebay though.

@Dr. Darrly
I remember being on the internet when the 1998s fist came out. I wondered back then who would be crazy enough to pay the prices he was selling them for and then try to use them as money. Boy was I wrong!

@joecoin:
Summarizing a long, drawn out event:
Bernard Van Nauthaus (Bernie for short in emails, papers, etc.) made alternate currency trying to tell people of the corruption and power of the Federal Reserve system. The FBI in 2007 abused their power (later proven in court) to confiscate everything he had including a LOT of precious metals. The seizure also included private holdings from many NORFED customers since the currency was redeemable by physical gold and silver held at NORFED HW. This unlawful seizure was during the time that the 2nd Great Depression was in full swing under the last administration, and the rising costs of PMs were making the Federal Reserve nervous as people were turning to silver and gold when they were educated about it from private currency issuers. Bernie became the largest and most famous in private currencies so he became the government's target.

Bernie was taken to court and convicted of counterfeiting. Part of the "evidence" used was a picture of a Mercury dime beside a NORFED dollar to bring about the idea Bernie was counterfeiting. Of course the picture of the dime had to be greatly enlarged to make it look like the NORFED in size. The jury bought the idea.

Bernie ended up being convicted but not sentenced. He holds the record for the longest a person was sentenced but not convicted in North Carolina. Basically the court knew it was a sham and knew they could not really sentence him to jail time etc. He appealed (3 years later?) and in the end the FBI had to actually return the coins and actual metals they confiscated (normally they just have to pay restitution). When the facts came out, the FBI was abusing their power (not just over certain government officials back then!) to eliminate a potential threat to the Federal Reserve keeping power over our money.

The FBI won in that their goal of shutting down the threat was accomplished.

When they confiscated the stuff they even went as far as to make an official public statement that could be illegal to own these and they could be confiscated. The government knew most people did not understand enough about the situation and would believe the lie. It worked as people stopped using them.

EBay was told by the FBI to not allow auctions of the NORFED items since they were illegal. Ebay auctions changed from being several new PAGES of NORFED coins being posted each day to having maybe 5-8 total individual auctions posted per day. All during the time I had a saved search on eBay every day to see how many were being listed. I do not know how these few got through daily as some were removed by eBay, but there were always some that got posted/bought/sold. Again the government abuse's goal was achieved as it scared off the major following that was continually building on eBay. A very sad time in US history.

BTW Whole Bernie was awaiting sentencing he sold rights to the design to another guy who started to produce them again. This guy made some technical changes as to poi9nts the sham court records contained as to why NORFEDs were counterfeit coins. But the same " Mercury dime like effigy" remained. As just one example of the new alterations, the second guy got rid of TRUST IN GOD (which was one of the reasons the court said NORFEDs were counterfeit coins b/c this statement was the same as IN GOD WE TRUST)

You likely can find all of this scattered throughout web pages. The court documents are probably still online somewhere also. I downloaded them when they happened.
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2019  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@thisistheshow, That's what I want to see. Different aspects of the Norfed . Thank you!

@DrDarryl, I wish I had one. Thanks for sharing.

@Earle42 You nailed it with the explanation!

Keep posting! I know there's more out there with different Hallmarks,.. Lets see them!

When I post my next piece I'll try to give a better educational view

Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The original NORFED design was a combination of two previous Royal Hawaiian Mint (aka The Hawaiian Mint) designs.

Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2019  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like NORFED silver 1oz, I have some but not a complete collection. I think they have a cool story.
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chopped Triumphs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, DrDarryl That was very educational !!

Andy, I totally agree. post a picture if you have one.

I will say this though, all 1oz 2007s with a 2006 rev is not an error. They ALL had it. I got this information from a very reliable source.
06/14/2019 01:03 am
Learn More...
United States
92108 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The original NORFED design was a combination of two previous Royal Hawaiian Mint (aka The Hawaiian Mint) designs.
Very interesting!
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 6,051Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05