Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1934 Wreath Crown, Your Thoughts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  2:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jeffmoz50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,I'm a newbie here.

I have just purchased a 1934 wreath crown that has spent its life within the centre dail of a finger dial telephone that was made in 1933 and came from the "Crown Hotel" in Harrogate UK. The phone was a pyramid type and seems to have been made especially for the Hotel given its name "Crown Hotel" and that the Hotel name was on the body of the phone too.

The coin was in the centre of the finger dail where normally there would be a sticker and it was stuck in with a black resin type substance.

I have managed to remove the coin from the phone dial without any damage occurring, but had to boil it in order to remove the residual material. Surprisingly enough it has come out great, but I may do a Baking soda and aluminium foil wash just to finish it off.

Here are some photos of said coin in its housing and after removal and I would really like to pick forum members brains about their thoughts to see if they are in agreement with me on its authenticity.

I do own a full set of replica wreath crowns just for their appeal, but recently saw this up for auction and thought what the heck, why not?

With the coin being encased in some sort of glue/resin this would have put a lot of bidders off because there was no way of knowing what the head side would look like and if indeed there was some chemical reaction damage to the coin. In fact there is very little, just a tiny bit that should come out with a Baking Soda bath.

Take a look guys, opinions appreciated.

Edited by jeffmoz50
06/10/2019 2:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1550 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
..to see what members say to the boiling water cleaning...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29064 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Only use 100% pure acetone not baking soda/foil dip.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United Kingdom
208 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I saw your posts in another forum as well, and was looking forward to the pictures.
It looks OK. Please don't use baking soda/foil on it - you will take away what little natural patina remains. As suggested above use Acetone or Surgical Spirit to remove any remaining glue residue, and then leave it in peace.
Looks to be a very nice pick-up!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5502 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine to me. Amazing story!
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40489 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
New Zealand
25 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2019  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please don't clean it!

It looks nice as it is, probably at least VF+ to aEF.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
317 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2019  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that had been in the centre of the phone since 1934 with all the atmospherics of the times in the hotel wouldn't it be toned? Looks far too clean for something out in the air for 80+ years. I also don't like that double rim and extra teeth.Get it checked I keep banging on about this series of coins. The fakes are superbly made and really only the RM can tell you if it is the real deal. These coins should all come with proven provenance if they don't you could be opening a can of worms. Coins in middle of phones sounds a nice back story so do the thousands of found in the attic that never were. Just being Devils Advocate :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05