Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Was Curious If Any Are Cheerios.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  04:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jatour to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I Was just curious if any are Cheerios

Edited by Jatour
06/12/2019 06:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
27639 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Please rotate and crop photos properly before posting. Here is a link http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page20c.html
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
4178 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not yet, keep looking
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  09:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check on the internet for images of the Cheerios Dollar, the key to identifying is the amount of detail on the reverse, but especially the eagles claw and tail feathers where it's most obvious, the tail feathers are way more detailed than the regular 2000P SACS.

Reverse designer Tom Rogers said in an interview he had with Tom DeLorey on June 3, 2005. Tom DeLorey wrote: "He (Rogers) said that the design change in the tail feathers was made very late in the design process, probably in late October, though he would have to check his notebook to be sure. Business strike production began Nov. 18th or 19th. The reason for the change was to make the tail feathers appear lighter in color, compared to the body of the eagle. An eagle's tail feathers are white. He said the original trial strikes made them look too brown. He smoothed down the lines that stick out at a 45 degree angle from the veins, and then somebody told him to replace the raised vein in the middle feather with a recessed one so it wouldn't stand out by itself."

"Vein" being the center stem of the feathers, and "lines" being the feather detail running off the center feather stem.

And for cherry pickers interested, but scared of getting scammed because you can't see the reverse in the pacaging by someone switching coins in the packaging, or it just not being the 1999 reverse pattern coin. I got this from small dollars .com

"When purchasing a "Cheerios Dollar" still in its original holder, it would prudent to remember that not all "Cheerios Dollars" are the "Reverse of 1999" pattern. It would also be possible for an unscrupulous person to place a regular Sacagawea dollar in a Cheerios package so be sure to check the package for signs of tampering. Since the reverse of the Dollar is not visible when still in an original Cheerios package, it would be helpful to have a die marker on the obverse that would identify a "Reverse of 1999".
Tom DeLorey has identified such a marker. He noticed it while examining three of the coins - two in NGC slabs and one still in the original Cheerios holder. Tom says, "Having the two slabbed pieces side by side, I noticed some die polish coming out into the field from her coat immediately below the P mint mark! Now that we knew what to look for, we could see it on the one still in the original plastic as well. It is faint, but there. This should be usable as a diagnostic to determine that other pieces still in the original plastic are from the pattern die pair!"

As Tom said, "it is faint", but it can be seen with a 5X glass if you tilt the coin just right under good lighting. To date, this marker has been seen on all "Reverse of 1999" Sacagawea dollars examined. This obverse die marker can be a helpful tool in determining if a Cheerios Dollar that is still in the original package is the "Reverse of 1999" or not, however, NOTHING takes the place of seeing the reverse so you can be 100% certain that you're getting the coin you expect."
Edited by Big-Kingdom
06/12/2019 09:15 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jatour to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I am way way off. I appreciate it though...

Pillar of the Community
United States
1228 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking. They're out there and most have not been found. I'm sure people have them stuck in drawers from years ago and don't even realize they have a several thousand dollar coin. Others just spent them which means they now most likely rolled up with other Sacagawea and Presidential dollars. I'd say to pretty much forget cherry picking raw coins off of eBay. Most of the sellers simply copied other ads and don't really understand what a Cheerios dollar is. Some are simply scammers. Anyone who knew for sure that they have a Cheerios dollar would have it certified in order to sell it for thousands instead of leaving it raw to sell it for hundreds.

https://sacagaweadollarguide.com/20...awea-dollar/
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valid Point at the end there Bret!

There's always the chance find at a garage sale or flea market or something though sill in the package, or out of it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18069 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a possibility at a garage sale.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2019  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some lucky individual from NJ found not one, but two, near Harrisburg, PA not long ago. Nuts! I'm on the wrong side of the state.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1876 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pick up rolls from my bank and go through them.

KK
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05