Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

HI I'm New To This Forum, I Got A Random Wierd Loonie

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  08:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if this was done post mint or if it may be some sort of error, the coin seems to be glossy on the Queen's side with what looks like 3 or more lines going straight through the middle of the coin, I'm thinking maybe it has been stripped of it's outer layer but the steel is not showing.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1499 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage. Welcome
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4589 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... normal loon
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The outer coating is completely gone there is a little sign that there ever was a coating, the loon side has 2 different colours you can see a very straight line where the colour shifts and it's closer to a penny colour. It's not that old do you guys think it has been stripped?
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also there is 6 lines I believe from her earring perfectly split up around the coin I believe you can only see one in the picture, would this be signs the outer layer was cut off? Or revers electro played
Valued Member
Canada
358 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  10:06 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look special to me.

Looks like it's just been around a while collecting different kinds of wear.
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The blue appears to be rust and I've seen thousands of loonies none the color of bronze, the, I can post several other loonies the same year so you can see the colour comparison, the coin itself is clean no debris or gunk on it.
Learn More...
Canada
8560 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight? Is it attracted to a magnet?
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Loonie weights 6.24g-6.5 compared to my others at 6.26-6.27g my scales not real but check a dozen times. So what would an reverse electroplated loonie or acid stripped loonie look like?
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also is attracted to a magnet
Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Learn More...
Canada
8560 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight is normal, and it is attracted to a magnet...

That leads me to conclude it is environmental toning... this sort of thing is what I call "fountain toning"... if coins spend any time in a fountain with lots of copper in the water (copper sculpture or lots of pennies), then you can get this kind of toning on it...

I have a nickel dollar almost the same colour, from environmental toning. I have also seen twoonies with dark cores like this.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
1108 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2240 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gotta agree with SPP,

I've dug up (metal detecting) a lot of loonies with similar toning.
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya probably what it is, I'll hold onto it for now, got a kwl look to it. The rim still has pieces of the gold colour and most high points on the coin still have the original loonies colour(almost gold) around the Queen's hair and face you can still see perfect spots, I wish I had a better camera. Lived in Canada 28 years and never seen anything like it. The newer loonies all fade to a much darker colour but not like this one. Even if it's worthless I like the look. What would a coupon look like if during the coating process if the last coating didn't stick?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7585 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silvery like steel or nickel.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05