Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Apollo 11th 50th Anniversary Currency Set

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2019  07:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Over in the Commemorative Coins forum mellamobradley46 posted the following about this set

Quote:
Apollo 11 currency set has info on it now:

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) is pleased to introduce the 2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Currency Set to celebrate the moon landing. The set features a Series 2013 $50 note with a serial number beginning with "1969" and an engraved representation of the famous "Buzz Aldrin on the Moon" photograph taken July 20, 1969. The reflection in Aldrin's visor—which includes Neil Armstrong, the United States flag, and the lunar lander—is embossed. The note is protected by a clear, acid-free polymer sleeve, and the engraved print features a limited edition number matching the last four digits of the serial number on the $50 note.

and CelticKnot added

Quote:
Mintage Limit: 6,000
Product Limit: 5,700
Household Order Limit: 10

I'm just curious why there's a difference in the Mintage (maybe someday the Mint copy writers will start saying Printing?) and Product limits

AFAIK the notes for this set come from regular production runs. To date, there have been 190,000 MX1969nnnnX series 2013 $50 notes printed. Most of these notes were printed before 2018 and IMHO were not likely reserved for this product. There were 40,000 notes printed in 2018 and I would think they are the likely candidates to be included in the set (MG1969nnnnB Jan 18, MH1969nnnnA Jan 18, ML1969nnnnB Feb 18 and MB1969nnnnD Oct18) with the New York notes probably being the most likely to be included.

It looks to me like the engraved print is the limiting factor for the set. So, why wouldn't it have the same print (mintage) limit as the product limit

BTW the cost of the set will be $85.95 for anyone thinking about getting one
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got my calendar marked.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37947 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Giddy with anticipation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone call the Mint with orders, or is everyone ordering online ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Online for me
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Their phone number 1-800-US-Mint is so prominent on their website, I was wondering....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9802 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in for one, and it's online ordering for me. The only time I've ever called the Mint was for my Apollo Kennedy Set packaging replacements because that (or an online chat) is the only way to get them.

@BadDog I also wondered about the difference in Mintage and Product limits...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know this area of the forum is dedicated to paper money but I just had to bring this historic medal into this particular thread.

Link to Heritage Auction...opening bid $250,000
https://historical.ha.com/itm/explo...6209-50067.s

Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to say it ... Michael Collins was a better astronaut than a medal designer.

Okay, let the beat-down begin.
Edited by GregAlex
07/02/2019 6:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There were 40,000 notes printed in 2018 and I would think they are the likely candidates to be included in the set (MG1969nnnnB Jan 18, MH1969nnnnA Jan 18, ML1969nnnnB Feb 18 and MB1969nnnnD Oct18) with the New York notes probably being the most likely to be included.

As I expected, the notes in this product will be from the FRB of NY (photo on the product page shows serial no MB19690002D ). It's hard to believe that the notes will be from both the FW and WDC plants though. According to USPaperMoneyInfo, Series 2003 notes were the last $50 notes printed in WDC, way back in Nov 2003
Edited by BadDog
07/02/2019 9:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9802 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
6.5 days and counting....
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
6.5 days and counting....

I have the US Mint's website open to the page it's on and I'm gonna hit refresh until it lets me add one to my cart...
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have the US Mint's website open to the page it's on and I'm gonna hit refresh until it lets me add one to my cart...
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not usually much of a currency collector but I think this time I might go for a couple of sets. I have some first and last sets from 1999 and a few signed notes, a BEP $100 pack of star dollar bills and a couple of error notes. Nothing with a $50 though, so going to pull the trigger on this one. Plus, I like low mintages lol.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In and out with two sets at noon, no problems and received confirmation email.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9802 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ordered mine. No issues. Wonder how long this will stay on sale...
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05