Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake 1948 Canada Silver Dollar From Ebay Seller Dam283

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2570 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  8:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Coin-1-doll...AOSwhE5caUC-

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. All of the seller's other listings look fake too.
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add inconnu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looks like the listing has been pulled.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7516 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2019  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the coin was sold.
As well as about half a dozen other '48 dollars in the last six months from this seller.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9816 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  01:34 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll report it. Hopefully, all of the listings can be pulled. They all appear fake.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3022 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  10:06 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EBay has to very , very seriously re-examine it's Coin Sellers policy.
Also the CBP and CBSA need to start clamping down on counterfeits.
They have the laws behind them , but never enforce them.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4311 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The government agency that has to act first is the RCM, they own the copyright, they have to start the process
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1171 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2019  11:04 am  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Every single one of the coins he has for sale is fake. Quite a wide variety of them.
Learn More...
United States
20690 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller has no current listings.
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The government agency that has to act first is the RCM, they own the copyright, they have to start the process

That's interesting. In the USA it's illegal to posses any counterfeit coins.

The US Secret Service and I believe the FBI will get you if they find out.

But you are saying it's a violation of a copyright?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9816 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the USA it's illegal to posses any counterfeit coins.

That's not true. It is illegal to attempt to pass them as genuine, however.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7516 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2019  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In Canada it is illegal to possess counterfeit coins.
It is never enforced though.
Many feel that eBay is complicit in this illegal activity, they delete the listings and not long after the same sellers are back at it again.
By now counterfeit '48 dollars far outnumber the 18,000 or so genuine examples.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
10 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  03:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EBrown to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, this is disturbing. What can we do about it?
Valued Member
Canada
369 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdcoinman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I solved the problem I had with this . I simply stop buying on EBay.Got out of the rat race and I sleep good at night.
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's not true. It is illegal to attempt to pass them as genuine, however.

I make that mistake a lot, thanks for the correction.

Although I believe there is some legal verbiage about "possession with intent to defraud."

So, technically you can be charged if someone can prove you were intending to pass or sell them.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1475 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The apathy in the numismatic community in regards to counterfeits has plagued as well as angered me for MANY years from the very top ( RCNA) to the average collector. ebay has been very diligent in combating counterfeits with good policies and procedures where as the RCM and the RCNA have done absolutely nothing.
I will be on Pocket Change Radio once again on the 25 June. This thread will be discussed at length.
Here is an article I wrote years ago. Does it FIT? Mike Marshall

Counterfeits are here to stay! Are you part of the problem?

Counterfeit coins have been around as long as coins have. For a very long time I have attempted to thwart the efforts of those who attempt to profit from them. While some major victories have been won the proliferation of this bane to our hobby continue at an alarming rate. All we can do is educate ourselves as well as others and be constantly vigilante in our numismatic transactions. This is where we as numismatists have become our own worst enemy. The competition to acquire new material or snatch up a "real deal" or "cherry pick" an item from say for example Kijiji or eBay, caution and or common sense may not be used. The naive or inexperienced are most vulnerable at this time. That is not who I am aiming this instalment at. I hope that the inexperienced save this article and use the examples given and markers presented to assist them in identifying counterfeit coins coming from China. What I am really hoping is that the more experienced collectors and dealers realize that their reactions to counterfeit material may well harm the hobby as much as the fake coins themselves.
I will bet that every person reading this has told a friend of an amazing purchase or cherry pick or had a story of this told to them by a fellow collector. Now the real question! How many have told the story of being duped by a fake or have had that story told to them? I will bet that only the most intimate of friends share these stories or they are among the very few who like me believe that the sharing of scenarios gone bad educates all who are informed and may well prevent future crimes. Too many times I have had people tell me that "It is the price of doing business," or "I chalked it up to a learning experience." Almost every dealer/pawn shop owner I have ever spoken to have "education pieces" that they have been duped with. Again the two phrases above are used. But did the duped individuals notify the police? In some cases yes. It was nice to see the article in CCN about the fake bullion and the arrests made. This is the exception not the norm. The reasoning for not wanting to divulge the fact that they whether a dealer or collector have acquired counterfeit coins is complex. Lets look at the motives:
a) Embarrassment. Absorbing the loss seems more beneficial than the loss of face in other collector or dealers eyes.
b) Recompense. If I involve the police I will be unable to recoup my losses either from the seller or by flipping it claiming ignorance. (this one falls more on the opportunist and not dealer/collector base).
Ethics. This one I always shake my head at. "Well I only offered peanuts for a multiple thousand dollar coin if real." As if the circumstance that the coin was fake negates the fact that the buyer attempted to acquire a very valuable coin for a minuscule amount. I do not feel sorry for this individual as they are no better than the fraudster by attempting to take advantage of someone while they themselves were duped by greed.
Every one of these motives actually harm the hobby. The lack of dissemination of information whether locally via local clubs, the press and police or nationally on coin chat groups or again in the press (CCN) hurts each and every one of us. Education is paramount. You are doing no one any good by being silent. Another may get duped by the same seller or scenario. If a duped individual leaves the hobby we all suffer in the end. The only people benefiting from silence is the fraudsters. If a fraudster does it once. Shame on him. If he/she does it twice. It is our own fault so shame on us. Are you part of the problem?
Here is a scenario which transpired right here in Trenton (my home town) within the last two weeks. It involves every thing mentioned and will demonstrate that acceptance of fraud and silence only breeds more of the same.
I was contacted by an individual (the opportunist) to authenticate a few 25 cent coins. 1875H and 1889. From the images provided there was no doubt to me that they were made in China. I met the individual to inform them in person that they were indeed fake. It turns out there were two of each date. I was then asked to look at images of an 1858 large cent this individual purchased previously from the same original seller but had subsequently sold at a profit apparently some time in the past. It was counterfeit as well. The individual who purchased the now flipped counterfeit 1858 simply chalked the counterfeit up as a learning experience and the price of doing business. Sound familiar? If the secondary buyer of the 1858 had gone public would it have made a difference? I believe so. The opportunist would never have purchased the 25 cent coins after unknowingly buying a fake 1858. The original fraudster would not have continued selling fake coins which my investigation has learned includes 1948 dollars as well.
The scenario was allowed to play out for all the wrong reasons.
Are you part of the problem?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4311 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The US has the Hobby"s Act which gives the copy coins a legit standing although they are trying to get rid of it, in Canada it"s simple it's illegal to own a counterfeit coin. Take any popular product like Nike, they prove copyright infringement then ask the correct government agencies to act, it's not the consumer who ask the agencies to act we have no standing, in Canada the RCM owns the copyright for the Queen"s image and the reverse design, so if the RCM won't act there is almost nothing we can do. I have written to RCM on this issue they just doesn't seem to care, need more collectors to harass the RCM on this issue and always a huge thanks to Nicklesguy
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05