Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1815 Magdalen Island Penny: Grade?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
80 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  11:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MarcusCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I'd love to know what grade you'd assign to this 1815 Magdalen Island Penny.
Cheers,
Marc

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8071 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most are pitted or slick as can be from heavy use. You have a very nice example and I would guess it is every bit straight grade F-12+ but that is just a guess.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go first, VF-25-30
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38036 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have zero experience with these, but it's a handsome coin and I'll say F-15 (US).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2435 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say F-15 as well
Valued Member
Canada
224 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisCat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisCat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with F-15, but it could make VF20. Much nicer than usual.
Valued Member
Canada
80 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MarcusCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you to everyone who replied!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38036 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I may ask, what exactly is depicted on the reverse?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8987 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I may ask, what exactly is depicted on the reverse?

Reverse
The reverse features a split, salted & dried cod fish.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces17851.html
Canada
16 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sid Belzberg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably will grade out at F15 although personally I would give it VG8 because of field distractions without field distractions, F15+ maybe VF 25. Overall, a desirable and interesting item!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38036 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dorado - Thanks for that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8987 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dorado - Thanks for that.

You are welcome!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2222 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2019  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EASY 20, possibly +5 on a good day.

while the dig marks/pits might greatly affect other tokens I would ignore them, unless you want to spend $200/$250+ for a cleaner example in the same state.

finding these in a higher grade than this example is possible, just exponentially more costly.

I would be pleased to have this to my collection - a very nice token! Congratz!
Valued Member
Canada
97 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Between VF-20 and VF-25.

From my archive, for comparaison with 2 examples «ICCS / VF-20» and 2 examples «ICCS / VF-30»:

ICCS / VF-30

Edited by ainsivalavie
06/21/2019 10:39 am
Valued Member
Canada
80 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MarcusCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
EASY 20, possibly +5 on a good day.

while the dig marks/pits might greatly affect other tokens I would ignore them, unless you want to spend $200/$250+ for a cleaner example in the same state.

finding these in a higher grade than this example is possible, just exponentially more costly.

I would be pleased to have this to my collection - a very nice token! Congratz!

Thanks! I bit the bullet on this one and shelled out $260..not a great deal, but these are too difficult to find in VF for me to have passed on the oppertunity
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05