Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pawn Shop Find Of The Day - Lafayette Dollar!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  5:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know there is a healthy debate about whether pawn shops are worth our numismatic time.

However, $16 this weekend:

Now, someone tell me why pawn shops are bad for collectors?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42253 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Applause! Well done!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd take that for $16 all day, any day. Congratulations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick-up...As far as pawn shops go,if you know what your looking at..go for it. I picked up a 22 weak D die pair # 3 for less than $20 a few years ago
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent find!

Quote:

Just ask whoever owned it before.
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just ask whoever owned it before.

Just ask whoever it was stolen from (maybe).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15939 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing some raised blemishes, and poor/missing detail especially in the arm and sword. I suspect, but can't prove, it is a fake. Don't have my attribution guide handy so I can't tell which die pair this is supposed to be.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12578 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Because they're full of fakes
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42253 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And over-priced junk, typically.
Valued Member
Canada
287 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eternallogan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm by no means an expert on this type, but my first thought was the surfaces seem suspect.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm seeing some raised blemishes, and poor/missing detail especially in the arm and sword. I suspect, but can't prove, it is a fake. Don't have my attribution guide handy so I can't tell which die pair this is supposed to be.

All I have are the reverse attributions. I know obverse 2 has a repunched second "S" in STATES (to the east of the "S") and a repunched second "A" in AMERICA (south from the "A"). The OPs coin is not obverse die 2 because it doesn't have the repunched "A." I think obverse die 1 just has the repunched "S" and I think I can see that here.

DuVall A Reverse. Tip of bottom leaf over 1; 14 leaves; long stem points at last 0.

DuVall B Reverse. Tip of bottom leaf between 1 and 9; 14 leaves; average length stem almost straight.

DuVall C Reverse. Tip of bottom leaf over 9; 14 flat leaves; very short stem curved down

DuVall D reverse. Tip of bottom leaf over 9; 15 wide spread leaves; stem curved a little bit up

The OPs coin definitely is a B reverse. I really wish I could find my obverse attribution for obverse die 1, because that's very likely what it is. If it's a DuVall 1B, that would be common and expected.

My gut reaction when I saw the pics was a circulated Lafayette that had been whizzed for jewelry or whatever. I agree, the weak sword does look off, though.

The only counterfeit diagnostic photos I have are for the Serbian counterfeit, and this doesn't match that counterfeit. I don't have diagnostic photos for the gaggle of Chinese counterfeits, though.

That's the best I can do with what I can lay my hands on right now.
Edited by fortcollins
07/10/2019 9:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife just walked by and read my last post. She quietly whispered "Dear, you are a nerd" and gave me a smooch and walked off.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12578 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
She quietly whispered "Dear, you are a nerd" and gave me a smooch and walked off.

You forgot the customary eye roll behind your back on the way out of the room
Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ fortcollins...you are a lucky man (nerd)..
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05