Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seated Liberty, A Collection Or Obsession?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  9:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For many, many years I've been drawn to U.S. dimes. Having a complete mint state set of the Roosevelt series to date, a complete Liberty dime series progressing from very-fine to mint state, and as of today 43 of the 123 date/mint marks required for the Seated Liberty series. I left out the 1873cc, no arrows and some over dates since I feel they aren't required. Or are they?

Hi. My name is Mike and I'm addicted to old silver coins.

If you're a follower of my posts, particularly the frequency of my buying, I think it safe to say I have an obsession. Is that a bad thing? Costly when you stop and think about it. But there are worse things to spend money and time on I would suppose.

For as many years as I've been collecting the thoughts as to why dimes had always been in the background. "Had" being the word until a conversation this afternoon about the current series with a non-collector friend. Few others pursue the Seated Liberties due to the difficulty and cost of completion. That aside I would think most because the series just doesn't have the appeal of the fore mentioned Liberty and Rosies. For me, even having a near complete set beats a complete set like the hundred thousand other Morgan dollar series. Not that I'm against other series or what others collect, mind you. Only that I choose a different route.

So there it is, where it had been all this time. By nature I like anything challenging. I do not want things easily achievable, to quote John Kennedy on the historic anniversary of 1969 "not because they are easy but because they are hard.". Somehow things, not only coins, just would not seem as enjoyable. Perhaps before I punch the clock, hopefully not for another twenty years give or take, I'll have completed this most challenging of tasks.

Thanks for reading. Have an outstanding day and collect on.

Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like looking at the Seated Liberty dimes on GFRC coins. I get to see all the dates lined up in a row... The guy had one heck of a collection and still does. If you haven't take a look in your spare time.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2019  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mike, nice post. I have only one Seated dime for my type set. Neat Coin I love this design in the small size. More appealing than the twenty cent pieces, quarters and dollars in my opinion.

Do you know why some dimes 1855-1858 have arrows beside the date?
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same obsession, but for Seated halves!
Pillar of the Community
United States
838 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last coin show I attended here in Houston, I came across a Seated Liberty dime book set, that was being sold off. By the time I came across it, about half the dimes were gone. It's a set you just don't see. Since then I've been keeping my eye out on ebay, hoping to stumble upon a set. I found this dime, it looks off, no stars or writing on obverse.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1838-O-New...AOSwIbFdKoMm
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a rare day one sees that set! I bet a lot of heads turned his direction when he said he had a full set.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1924 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fifth 1858-S quarter was as satisfying as the fourth.

A good coin is a good coin to have more of.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15643 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I left out the 1873cc, no arrows and some over dates since I feel they aren't required. Or are they?

You define what your goal is. They are only required if YOU decide they are required.

Quote:
I think it safe to say I have an obsession. Is that a bad thing?

Only if you can't afford it.

I did the half dimes (I prefer the small denominations), still need three coins, 1846, 1865, and 1867. My impossible obsession though is the early date large cents by die variety. 295 pieces and I still need about 30 of them and it is reaching the point where each costs what a car would (and that is in LOW grade), and I don't have that kind of money.

It's good though to chase sets that everyone else isn't doing.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, Crouse27! To answer your question it was to denote a reduction in silver beginning in 1853 and then again in 1873.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05