Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lafayette Dollar Possible Counterfeit?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  10:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think this is another cast counterfeit coin on the bay? Looking at the sellers feed back shows a lot of reported counterfeit coins

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254300944969
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A known weasel. Refunds if you catch that it's a fake, but plenty of buyers think they got a bargain.

Lafayette definitely cast. Details blurry in deeper pockets and field to elements areas indistinct.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7501 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes you wonder why she's allowed to continue selling.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39455 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a shame.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I was thinking why are they still able to sell.
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Money. And not the collecting sort. Their policy about counterfeits is only there for legal reasons. Nothing more. Sad.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
801 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The pictured coin purports to be a DuVall 1C.

What's wrong with this coin:
Obverse: the left leg of the "A" in DOLLAR is level
Obverse: the inside right leg of the "A" in DOLLAR is incorrect.
Reverse: the leaves are incorrect
DuVall 1C was first discovered about 30 years ago and is rare.

The seller's negative and neutral feedback includes several counterfeit coins and shipment of coins different than the pictured coin. These are big red flags.

I wholeheartedly agree with @moxking's upthread comments about the appearance of the fields and devices.
Edited by fortcollins
07/19/2019 8:58 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39455 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've reported it twice but nothing so far. Bobby?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3489 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good catch, 1993Z. Many of the feet of the letters in the legend appear malformed. The letters "O" are also misshapen. This seller's history is shady, too.

I reported it, too.
Learn More...
United States
21280 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  09:57 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not the usual Chinese fake I see quite a bit.

I'll send it in for review.
Learn More...
United States
21280 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  11:10 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
removed
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39455 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, sir.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3489 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way to go, NSS-52!

I like the fact that eBay now provides a window for explaining the problem one sees. That said, they don't allow more than a sentence or two!

BTW, my eBay searches quit working today. Might my report on this piece have contributed to that? It strikes me as possibly beyond coincidence.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NSS-52
Learn More...
United States
21280 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller was allisonscoins
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05