Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Were You Doing 50 Years Ago Today

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...i was a terrible 2, so I was probably driving my mom & grandma crazy (evil grin)...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17544 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was on an old WWII vintage Amphibious ship (AKA-57) tied up at the Norfolk Naval Base getting ready for deployment.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7585 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My daughter was born 50 years ago today.
Tempus fugit.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably looking at some coins I bought from Littleton Coin Co...I always looked forward to receiving their coin approvals through the mail...especially the foreign ones...I do remember a lion coin from Mali and I believe I still have the tortoise coin from Tonga.

KK
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goldnugget to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
50 Years ago , I had just gotten out of the U S Navy on June 11,1969 after (4 ) years of service So I was able to watch the Apollo 11 Moon landing and record it from the television on a Super 8 m m film that I still have. I got to see a lot of Foreign Countries aboard the U.S.S, Maddox DD 731 for you History Buff's

goldnugget
Pillar of the Community
United States
586 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add garys64wildcat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I w as sitting in the Circle Tavern with friend watching on TV, whitch was torn down to build the Air Museum on Seattle field in Seattle Wa after work at Boeing Plant and I enjoyed the moment and hope to see more experiences like that
Valued Member
184 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't born ;) well not for another 15 days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4185 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At this time of the year I had been married for 2 months and was getting ready to go back to college for a teaching degree.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7744 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't born yet...
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flag4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was just a young kid, but I got to stay up late to watch Neil and Buzz make footprints in the regolith . . Epic!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15781 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I watched all of the the Apollo X1 landing live on TV.
Australia had the best live pictures in the World, because there was a hitch in the quality of the video that was sent from Australia back to the 'States.
America's first received videos were super 8 film quality, taken from TV.
NASA later re published the quality of video that Australia originally received live.

The film "The dish", (which refers the the Parkes Radio Telescope), was working in video mode to receive pictures directly from the Moon. Australian TV was linked directly to it.

I was a young man in my first career job as a civil engineering draughtsman. A group of about 50 staff were all grouped around a large B&W TV, that was provided by our employer. We were all given three hours free leave from our work, so that we could see everything on TV.

The weekend following, I was helping to re build an old Syney double deck bus, to be converted into a tourist vehicle.
It was in early 1970 that I helped drive that old converted double deck bus overland India to Europe.

Numismatically, by 1969, I had completed an Australian gold type set, comprising 10 sovereigns, 7 half sovereigns, and an Adelaide Pound.
I also had two Roman gold coins in my collection by that year.
Edited by sel_69l
08/22/2019 08:54 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8161 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  09:29 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fishing with my father in Ontario on Lake Sharbot and nearby secluded Bass Lake.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
1380 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Playing kickball with the kids in the neighborhood, getting ready to go into 5th grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
627 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was 2, sucking my thumb was probably more on my mind.

Quote:
Fishing with my father in Ontario on Lake Sharbot and nearby secluded Bass Lake.

Wow, my grandparents had a trailor on the same lake. Mid to late 70's would have been my time there. Great memories.
"B'eh....B'eh....B'eh...."

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8161 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
loonie, I was able to date it because I remember the radio songs on the way up and back.
In the year 2525, Spinning Wheel, Proud Mary, Aquarius, Atlantis, One and for my dad, A boy named Sue
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05