Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Worn & Dirty 1888 Indian Cent. Any Chance It's The 8/7 Overdate?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  12:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kfseadog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this one up for $.70 in an Indian cent bin. I'm not quite convinced it's the overdate, but would like to get other opinions. It's too worn to make out the die break on the rim above the E. I also can't see the top portion of "7" where it should be. But the bottom of the 8 looks compelling with a possible 7 protruding. I'm not sure, especially with the other damage marks and dirt on the obverse. I don't really want to clean it just in case it's a genuine piece.

Here's a picture showing the top portion of the 8.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39238 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date is very close to the correct position in relation to the bust tip, so that's a good start. The stump of the 7 also looks like it might be there. Try nudging some of that grunge away from the bottom of the last 8 with, say, a dampened wood toothpick and see if it's there.

Edited by Coinfrog
07/22/2019 2:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7489 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need full front and back pics.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kfseadog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I tried a damp toothpick but not much, I didn't want to scratch it even if it is damaged already.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7489 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dang if I know, too much crud.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39238 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On further review, I believe the date logo is just slightly too far to the left to be the overdate.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kfseadog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm inclined to agree, thanks for the help.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05