Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified Roman Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  1:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hazugot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Originally I had found this coin on the side of an old roman road. I assume it is roman therefore and through the research I would believe it is. I think it is bronze and older than 250 AD but I am not sure of any features or how much it is worth. I havent found anything about it online and hope thats a good sign that it is rare. Any help would be massively appreciated! :)

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aurelian Tetradrachm Alexandria on quick inspection.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=138505
Edited by louisvillekyshop
07/22/2019 1:41 pm
Learn More...
United States
22481 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

I agree.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hazugot;

Because you asked about worth, the easiest way to see what you would get for a coin, if you HAD to sell it and could not wait, is to do an advanced search for only sold items with a platform like eBay. I have set one up for you below for this coin type.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0222&_ipg=25
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12466 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hazugot, welcome to CCF.

Anyone have any concerns about the authenticity of this piece? I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but the bumps on his neck and below his chin bother me. Not accusing, but rather just asking...

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spence: I imagine a request for size (in mm), weight (in grams) and edge photo view is now in order from the poster. The edges of these tets would be hard to fake I imagine as they look like nothing else out there.
Learn More...
Australia
13128 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should point out that this is a Romano-Egyptian coin, dating from a time when Egypt was still a closed economy with its own separate currency. To the best of my knowledge, these coins are never found outside of Egypt. If the Roman road in question was not in or very near to Egypt, one would certainly have to wonder how the coin had arrived there. It would be akin to waking down the street in London or San Francisco or Sydney, and finding a North Korean coin on the ground.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4174 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap - coins had a habit of going wherever trade went, so it is possible, though rare, to find coins that ought not be where they are. Here's a map of Alexandrian Tetradrachms reported to the Portable Antiquities Scheme as being found in the UK:

https://finds.org.uk/database/searc...C+Egypt

Heres a coin of Menander that made it from Afghanistan to Denbighshire:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artef...rd/id/922867
Pillar of the Community
United States
3892 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Current market value aside, I'd regard this coin and its background story the basis of a family heirloom.

Colligo ergo sum
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05