Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Select An Title For Your Images. More Information Added.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 379Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46627 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  7:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How to select an title for your images.
I pick up a lot of images through the many years, and I've seen different titles of images often used. Well through the years, I tried several different ways of naming my images. I see some are using the dates the images are created, as their title for that image. Well that might work OKn until you start to get as many images as I have, on my image host. I'm less than 100 short of ten thousand images. So how do I keep them straight. I use a system to make them easy to find and how to post them without having to copy paste each image title. Would I do things different than I've done in the past? Yes. So I though I would explain what/how I use the address titles I use. When you copy one of my images, then you will see what I'm talking about. Please feel free to copy my images to add to your educational files. Please keep the names on the images so the copyright issues won't come up for borrowed images.
1. Dates/denominations:
The date of the coin is nice for searches to make it easier to find.

The address when you copy this image from the site to save for your personal file is different than the one I have on my image host address. There are letters that area part of the address when posting. But the image title is this:
1987D-1MM-003_illustrated What does that mean? First the date 1987 of the coin. The 'D' is the mint - 1MM is the one cent mintmark (RPM) issue. The -003 is the designated attributed die for coppercoins. Through the years I've taken images for coppercoins and know how they list their coins. So the title also contain the word illustrated That is a personal note to myself that more information is on this image. So when you are looking on your computer, it automatically sorts them according to the formula that places them and when a new date, and other information is added, then it sorts them on in numerical numbers. This can also include other sites numbers that are on the image, or even the names of the takers of the image. That is just one way I used to list my titles for the images.
So another way to simplify the finding of coins so the different denominations it might be good to add as part of your title of the image: 'C' for Cents, 'N' for Nickel, 'D' for Dime, 'Q' for Quarter, 'H' for halves, and 'DO for Dollars. I've not done this in the past and it would be impossible to change them all now. Why? Because everywhere I posted previously, when I changed the title, they would no longer appear again there. So it would be too hard to keep a double set of books with that many images. But as a new collector you could update the few images you have now with the new system. Also I have overlays. I'm not changing mind, but searching through a lot of titles of images to find these, it would have been easier to have added to the letters above for the overlays of added a 'O' before the Cent. knowing that what Stands for overlay of a cent. so it would appear a 'C' for a normal image and an 'OC' for an overlay of a cent. The nice thing about doing this that it sorts them out automatically on your computer or on your image host. Makes finding them easier. You will note on my images the different terms for my images can be: Example 1c, one cent, NDN ( Indian Head cent) LWC (Lincoln Wheat Cents) LMC (Lincoln Memorial Cents) LSC Lincoln Seal Cents, Same on down the other denominations, but JN for Jefferson nickel, Rosie, Merc, for Dimes. WQ for Washington quarter, JFK for Kennedy halves, Ike, Sac, SBA, Prez for other denominations. Just to save space on the title line. If mine are too long, then I have a number that is added and that will be different for each image. So I figured this out later on.

2. Special Titles:
Lets say you want to sort differently when you get a lot of images. Well it is always better to know what else you can do to make the sorting and finding of the images when you are looking to use them to not spend a week doing this. I found one way that if I want an image to be at the first of the list on my near 10K images, if I add (, ((, ((( in front of the title, then that image will show up on my image host at the front of the 10K images.

3. Multiple images of the same coin:
On this coin:

I have 18 different images of different areas of this coin. They should doubling on different areas of this coin close up. The title for this image is:
1960_NICKEL_WDDR-038_PR_COOP_CCF_01
Note the date, denomination, the Wexler attribution number, 'PR' for proof coin, CCF (included where it would be posted, but probably not necessary) then the 01, that is the image number. So when I post all 18 of these images, I don't need to look up each address on my image host. I just need to change the numbers, 02,03, ETC So I copy the full address with the posting information ]img[ Put in backwards to allow them not to hide ]/img[ with the address in the center of the of these tags and then copy. Then copy that full line and post it 18 times. Then go back and change the numbers. Some times I use letters. Whatever works best for you. Through the years I've changed so many times. But the quickest way if not to have to look up and post each line separately.

I'm posting this information so you can simplify your image titles. Through the years like I said I've tried different ways, But starting off the best way would be a great help to all new members. Enter other suggestions that work for you or don't work for you.

So to recap this:
1. Best to use the dates as one of the first parts of your titles.
2. Adding in 'C' = cents ahead of the date to short the coins by denominations and then dates. Save a lot of time when looking for them.
3. For educational uses, some I add (, ((, ((( marks to make sorting faster images faster.
4. At the end of you image descriptions, having a system will help you save a lot of time when posting these images. At one time I used to put OBV and REV on the titles. Then I had to figure out later, that later that was making it harder to find one image out of 10K.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/24/2019 12:01 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51194 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very instructive, as always, from the educational dean of the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
07/23/2019 8:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4908 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I got my first computer (early 80's) file names were limited to 8 characters.
Not easy to create names that made sense.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antmark3d to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As always, thanks coop!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46627 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Added:
So you might use:
EC_DATE-mm_(error type) (image id) NUMBERS/LETTERS (or if you are listing several, you might add AAA, first coin ABA for a second coin. Or if you have multiple images of the same coin: AAA, AAB, AAC etc. So when you are posting images of the same coin, with the last letter/number being different, then you copy the first one, then add the tags. Copy the address and the tags and post it three or more times (depending on how many you have) and then change the last letter/number. like this
Title of image: EC_DATE-mm ERROR COOP AAA
]img] EC_DATE-mm ERROR COOP AAA[/img] Copy this:
]img] EC_DATE-mm ERROR COOP AAA[/img]
]img] EC_DATE-mm ERROR COOP AAA[/img]
]img] EC_DATE-mm ERROR COOP AAA[/img] Before posting change the last letter/number:
]img] EC_DATE-mm ERROR COOP AAA[/img] Copy this:
]img] EC_DATE-mm ERROR COOP AAB[/img]
]img] EC_DATE-mm ERROR COOP AAC[/img]
]img] EC_DATE-mm ERROR COOP AAD[/img] Then post on the site.
This example will not post because of the bracket on the front going the wrong way. But also it won't post as it doesn't have the hosts pre-information on your image location. But this works for me as I post many images at a time. I though I would save everyone a lot of time when posting.
So 'E' could stand for error, 'R' for RPM, 'DO' for doubled die obverse, 'DR' could stand for doubled die reverse, 'N' for normal, 'O' for overlay. (You can add as many different types a possible. But the neat thing is that it will sort these out for you. If you wanted to designate 'PR' for proof; after the date/mintmark you could add that. It will sort them out separately. Then you won't have the issue that I have without separately denoted coins. When I type in 1960 on my host what happens: It show I have 17 pages of 25 (425 images) per page that are not sorted. They are random, because they are not sorted by the prefix additions. Now I know this, so I want you to not have the same issue for looking for images that I have. So try doing this now and see if it gets easier to find your images.
'C' for Cents, 'N' for Nickels, 'D' for Dimes, 'Q' for Quarters, 'H' for halves and 'DL for Dollar. (I just realized now that I should not use DO for dollar as I'll be using that for Doubled Obverse)
So if you were going to image name an image, first select the Type. So if we have a 1960-D cent with a die clash how could you name it?
(EC 1960-D die clash coop AAA) You don't have to add the under line under the spaces the computer will add this to the formula. So you have three of them. Just change the last letter to AAB, the next image AAC. That simplifies the images So you up load them to your image host and then you will have the full address to post, just for the first image. So add the tags to the first image:
]img] image host address - image address[/img] The image host and the image will all be one line.
]img] EC 1960-D die clash coop AAA[/img] First image
]img] EC 1960-D die clash coop AAB[/img] Second image
]img] EC 1960-D die clash coop AAC[/img] Third image

Now on your image host, these will be sorted according to: Type/Denomination/Date/Mint/image type/image number/letter. That will make finding the correct image a lot easier when your searching for them.

So. this is something that I figured out that I was doing wrong, but a little hard to change after doing this wrong for XX number of years. So work smarter, and not harder.

So after posting this thread, I added a new image. So I used this formula
]img]https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49...2128_AAA.jpg[/img]
[img]https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/MDC2006_MD-_NE_EAR_-_LIB_Tiff2128_AAA.jpg[/img]
So I started my re-listings now with the formula above: see
MDC2006(Machine doubling)(Cent)(Date) MD(forgot not necessary)(NE)(Not an Error)LIB (area affected)Tiff2128(Photographer) AAA (Image Number/letters)
So now you can see how I'm changing over, but I will probably not be changing other images to this as I would need to change every site I've posted them on, and I don't have time enough to do all that. But I hope this helps others when going forward.

Just wonder why the image didn't post? It was because of the reversed bracket on the first tag. Because there was an error, the next image won't post. So to see this image, click on the blue line
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/24/2019 12:39 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 379Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05