Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bronze Disease And Treatment..encapsulate In Resin Block?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United Kingdom
87 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2019  05:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add FuzzyDuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Morning all,
I know there are other threads on here on how to deal with bronze disease, but my question is what about encapsulating them in a clear resin? I know from some people's point of view it reduces it's value and desirability...from mine it doesn't matter to me. My biggest question is would this stop bronze diseases from spreading further,and preserve the rest of the coin from further damage?
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4183 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2019  07:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is perfectly dry, then this would work (and a lot of resins can be dissolved with harsh chemicals after the fact). The problem is, if there is any water left on the coin or there is water dissolved in one of the components of the resin, then you have trapped that in with the coin and you might find that the bronze disease continues to progress.

A coin baked in the oven for a half hour and then encapsulated with RenWax (not reversible) tends to be perfectly fine in my experience, but the thin layer of 'wax' can be damaged and allow water back to the coin. Again, the main problem is if you trap the problem inside the protective layer.

I have a couple of very badly corroded, very fragile sestertii which I protected with several layers of Renwax years ago and there has been no further deterioration.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
87 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2019  07:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FuzzyDuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your help, I will have a look at baking and then renwax.
Much appreciated &👍
Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2019  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the idea of encasing a coin in a block of resin is anathema to many, an impregnating resin which leaves the appearance unaffected is an interesting idea. I believe something along this line is already known to professional conservators for preserving wood. Ren Wax is reversible, btw, with heat.
Edited by Kushanshah
08/04/2019 6:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2350 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or with an appropriate solvent available in a hardware store.

"Resin" on the other hand, can mean certain types of polymers which would be very hard to remove later (epoxy, for instance).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05