Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint Error AU 50 Seated Liberty Half Dollar Coin - How To Find A Buyer

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1166 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, $51K? Amazing that the OP, an admitted non-collector, didn't sell it to the first coin shop! A visit to us here on CCF netted the OP some serious cash! Way to go, guys, good job steering them in the right direction!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7085 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  04:24 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was only off by $13,254.00 not including the buyers fees. I thought it would go for more than my guess. I was hoping it would go to Heritage myself I think there is more money in it through Heritage at a better known auction (FUN or ANA) with some more of their advertising, but it still brought a fantastic price. Glad the lady got some good money for her deceased mother's coin. Still wonder how mom ended up with the coin, and graded already by NGC, then stuffed into an old suitcase? Strange story behind this I'd love to know more.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
184 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Amazing! Good for her! I too would love to know the back story of that coin.! I bet it has a crazy story to tell!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add makuta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THANK YOU good coin community folks. It has taken me some time to come back here, and I see that some of you were watching the story develop. Thanks to you I didn't sell the coin for the $2500 and then $3600 I was offered locally. I took your advice and went to GreatCollections as this was the first auction house recommended. For those who wondered, this coin has been sitting in a box with a bunch of other coins in my mother-in-law's house for decades. It might have belonged to my husband's grandfather, but we are simply not sure. We truly don't know the history of it, and we are just grateful for dealer #1 who bought all the other coins we had, but recommended that that particular coin be sent away as it might be something special. Only when it returned in the case did we know that we might have something special. Again, thanks for jumping in and setting me straight.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2594 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2019  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, you did well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7085 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  02:38 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for letting us know a bit more on the history of the coin. Sorry you had to lose your Mother in law, but glad you didn't get taken advantage of. The coin brought a fair market price, I will keep an eye out for future sales, this is one crazy error coin for sure.

Congratulations and well done!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1335 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We truly don't know the history of it, and we are just grateful for dealer #1 who bought all the other coins we had, but recommended that that particular coin be sent away as it might be something special.

Kudos to dealer #1, if it's OK with them, feel free to give them a shout out here.
Secret Santa!
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05