Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Half Dollar Roll Hunting For Small-Timers (Not Box Hunting!)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 5,285Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
5513 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  02:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The original Half Dollar Roll Hunting thread was started back in 2007 and currently extends to over 1600 pages. In recent years that thread has come to be dominated by posts from hunters who process half dollars by the $500 box: 2 boxes per week, or 5, or 10, or 20. Many posts discuss strategies for turning in ("dumping") the thousands of unwanted coins back to the banks, hopefully without annoying the bank personnel. It seems like roll hunting has become an industrial-level process, complete with special equipment for transporting hundreds of pounds of coins.

Some bulk hunters find large quantities of silver halves along the way and I'm definitely impressed (and envious) about their success. My modest roll-hunting operation generally involves dropping in at banks and buying whatever loose coins or rolls the tellers have on hand. The scores are small but somehow satisfying. If other roll hunters are content with small-scale hunts then maybe you will consider adding to this thread. I myself will continue to check out the "big boy" posts on the 1600-page topic but it seems I have little to contribute there.

That being said, I recently picked up 5 rolls of customer-wrapped halves at a local Chase Bank. These 100 coins included at least 70 proof halves, dating from 1970 to 2010. A single 1970-S was the only silver coin (40%) but I was amazed at the sheer quantity. I'm keeping about 40 of the better coins; the rest were too impaired from circulation and I will redeposit those. I also found a few NIFC business strike coins, plus two clad commemorative halves: a 1986 Statue of Liberty and a 1991 Mount Rushmore. This little score made my day!

Edited by Jaobler
08/06/2019 12:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
39480 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  05:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice score,I bet you got a little shot of adrenaline
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great score!
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing finds. I'd get back to that bank real quick for quarters and dimes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you found my dump.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
5513 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Made a bank run while vacationing in Kona, Hawaii last month. No silver, but I did find two nice 1987-D coins that were worth keeping. Hope I didn't violate any USDA regulations by importing these from the Aloha State!

Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
5513 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stopped at a Wells Fargo where the teller said they had $1200 worth of halves. Bought just 4 rolls to start and they looked thoroughly searched. They were not machine-rolled, so probably they were turned in by a customer. I'll go back to buy some more but I'm not expecting much.
31 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robby Bee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I follow a similar strategy and have been doing it for 8 years - boxes often are too picked over and don't generate the returns. Worked out well for me so far.

Regarding the proofs, I'd hold onto all of them and find a coin dealer to buy (or trade) the rest from you. Even with common dates and severe impacts, impaired proofs get a premium over face value.

Also look for die varieties ("No FG"), Not intended for Circulation (years 2002 - Date), Die rotation and other varieties - they often appear in Customer Wrapped Rolls
Pillar of the Community
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always buy them all.
I've found dozens of solid silver rolls over the years using this strategy.
You just never know what's in the mix.

That, and the tellers will love you for it.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
5513 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went back to that Wells Fargo for $200 worth. As expected, this is a thoroughly searched lot, all dating 1971-2001, no proofs, no standout BU coins, all identical wrappers. Several 1974-D coins had "WE TRUST" highlighted with red marker indicating the previous owner checked for the DDO variety.

Maybe I'll ask the teller if she has any rolls with different wrappers; if not I won't get any more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2305 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Several 1974-D coins had "WE TRUST" highlighted with red marker indicating the previous owner checked for the DDO variety.

I run into this a lot where I live, except it is almost always BLACK marker used in the motto.
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5513 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Always buy them all.

Usually sound advice. I went back and spoke to the teller who confirmed that she received 3 boxes of halves from a customer, all hand-rolled coins with the same wrappers. After going through $240 worth of these well-searched coins I concluded that pond was fished out.

Doesn't mean they won't have anything good when I check back in a few weeks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5513 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Visiting my son in Houston again, so I've stopped at several random banks. Very few halves and the ones I found were already well-searched. Looks like central Houston is pretty well fished out.
Learn More...
United States
100870 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bummer.

At least not a totally wasted trip. You got to see your son.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 37 / Views: 5,285Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05