Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S VDB Lincoln Wheat Cents - Which Do You Keep?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11444 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After 20 minuets of tough scrutiny ( not really ) I would keep the Brown one. The ever so light cleaning on the red one would fool some collectors and many newbies .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are only selling because you need the money, then I would sell something else instead....like a kidney maybe lol (just joking).

If you are selling because you don't want to keep both, then it's a tough choice.

It looks like a very gentle cleaning, so although it is less desirable now, that may change over time when it retones..
Pillar of the Community
United States
5181 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Market acceptability comes into play as well. Is it a msrket acceptable cleaning? Will it be impacted? All questions with no clear answer.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9196 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the first one much better.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
543 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A tough decision and initially I was going with the darker one with lighter contrast on the rev because of the earlier die state.

But the other comments make good points. It is hard to know how long it might take for the lightly cleaned one to retone. And will they have technology at that point that will still be able to detect the cleaning on a coin of this stature.

Decisions, decisions. Hmmmmmmm........
Pillar of the Community
United States
590 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go with the first one, it appears more natural.
All that glitters is not gold.

After rethinking this for a time, I decided I would send them both in for grading and keep the highest graded one.

Dan
Edited by Panther
08/09/2019 1:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, but Dan the shiny one won't grade since it's cleaned. That's part of the problem that only the brown one will grade so no real available direct comparison.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39099 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grading a coin has nothing to do with the die condition when the coin was struck
Grading a coin has nothing to do with Machine Doubling. While most collectors prefer not to have, they still graded as a normal coin.
Grading a coin has nothing to do with finger prints or carbon spots. They grade them as a normal coin.
When buying a graded coin buy the coin, not the plastic. Even though it has a nice grade, you may still be let down without seeing images of the real coin.
When buying a coin, don't take for granted that they have it correct. They are wrong often I've noticed on even PCGS coins. Case in point:

Why is thing not the correct coin. Note the zero on the date? See how the loop at 4:00 Sags? That is the correct doublling for the DDO-002. There coin is the top one that they graded as the real deal, which it is not. How did they miss that? They were probably grading from the die chips on Liberty. They don't realize there is a DDO-002 want to be out there. They got caught on that. Here is what they missed:

Note the die chips on Liberty? Note the example they thought it was the want to be DDO. Theirs it he top image, the lower image is what they should have been looking for. Most don't know about the want to be or actually what to, look for on the real DDO. The odd shaped loop on the zero is the clue.

Save this image for your own educational files. The next time you as a 1909 VDB, you will wish that had saved it. Then try finding this thread again. Good luck with that. So save it now.
Imagine someone buying this coin and never even knowing it was not the right die for that coin?
Buy the coin, not the plastic. No images other than the slab. Pass until you are convinced you have the real deal and will be happy with the coins condition.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9196 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Grading a coin has nothing to do with the die condition when the coin was struck...........Grading a coin has nothing to do with finger prints or carbon spots. They grade them as a normal coin.

When grading Mint State coins quality of strike and eye appeal are both major factors accounting for up to 40% of the assigned grade. All TPG factor strike quality and eye appeal into the final grade assigned.

For example: an otherwise MS65 gem level piece (based on surface preservation and luster) that was poorly struck up from worn dies and has negative eye appeal from fingerprints and carbon spots can easily be dropped to MS63 and even MS62 in a worst case scenario.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39099 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True. But to a seasoned collector, we are disappointed when they don't consider that something are not what a true collector would expect on a coin that is graded. Thus the warning buy the coin, not the plastic. Don't assume and get burned. See it before buying it.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9196 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
True. But to a seasoned collector, we are disappointed when they don't consider that something are not what a true collector would expect on a coin that is graded. Thus the warning buy the coin, not the plastic. Don't assume and get burned. See it before buying it.

Yes, I agree. A coin can be poorly struck and have poor eye appeal and still have technically correct (and high) grade.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39099 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was buying RPMs from Ebay for a time, but they showed the coin, but not a close up view of the RPM. I got burned from one seller that I spent $35 dollars on and none were the right RPM. On another seller I was getting the correct the RPM, but they were the VLDS die state RPMs. So I stopped buying from them also. Thus I mention the seeing before getting burned comment.
Richard S. Cooper

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05