Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Authentic Racketeer Nickel?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  10:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hey guys, I've been hunting around for an authentic example of a racketeer nickel for some time now.
I dont want one that was just plated recently, like what Littleton Coin Company does. I know there's not really a 100% sure way to know if one was actually used back in the day to look like a $5 gold piece, but I know theres definitely some properties to look for.
Anyways, I found this listing and to me, it looks like it could be the real deal. Id appreciate if you guys took a look and gave your opinion! The gold plating seems to have worn down at a similar rate with the coin, and there is gold still in the deepest parts of the coin as one would expect.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1883-Liber...352737734776
Thank you guys!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4241 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I can't help you with that one, but I have a very similar example that was given to me as a type set filler by my uncle years ago.

It's obviously seen better days, but the removed mount on the reverse, which appears to have been added after the plating wore off (no gold can be seen in the crack around it) gives me the impression that the plating has been there a while.

I'll add that while the example on the bay looks like this on the obverse, the reverse appears to have a clearly demarcated ring of gold around the edge and an unplated center.
Edited by Numisma
08/12/2019 1:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  1:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the reverse of the ebay one does look a little suspicious. thanks for your reply!
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know that some of the so-called "authenic" Racketeer Nickels have engraved reeding on the edge to further make the coin appear to be a gold piece, but I noticed that the eBay seller you refer to does not mention the edge of that coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4241 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know that some of the so-called "authenic" Racketeer Nickels have engraved reeding on the edge to further make the coin appear to be a gold piece, but I noticed that the eBay seller you refer to does not mention the edge of that coin.

Good point. Mine isn't reeded either, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was plated a while after 1883.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39447 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This would not be a difficult effect to achieve. I'd be skeptical.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12498 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you have solid provenance going back to at least 1900, I would be very suspicious. Even then, I would be cautious.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1962penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you guys! I'll hold off on the purchase for now. bummer
Pillar of the Community
United States
2514 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nope, not real
Pillar of the Community
United States
3489 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having owned a number of the so-called Racketeer nickels over the years, this one is as close to being an "authentic" counterfeit as I've seen ....

Five bucks was a healthy piece of change in the 1880's, so the above alteration was well worth the time and effort to create it; that's to say, IF the maker didn't get caught!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05