Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$1 Gold Indian Princess With Extra Metal And PMD

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add flanders8008 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There seems to be an extra blob of gold on this old gold dollar coin. It's defaced the coin so I can't even read the date. Any idea what would cause this...?
TIA

Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Used in jewelry at some point would be my guess.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39442 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right - Could have been a cuff link or stickpin, for example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9184 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it's ex-jewelry and that extra blob might not be gold.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39442 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1924 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver test solution might take the solder blob off and reveal the date. It won't hurt the coin any more than it already has been.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
United States
4553 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I can see 1858
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2673 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  02:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Silver test solution might take the solder blob off and reveal the date. It won't hurt the coin any more than it already has been.
- on the "won't hurt any more" part, at least.
Just don't use anything that might harm the gold - which of course still leaves you with a wide variety of options (including some quite strong acids).

I think we had a similar case come up on CCF a few years back?
Valued Member
Canada
168 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flanders8008 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK I'll look into finding someone who can remove it and post pics again once done. I guess taking it to a jeweller might be an idea, I'm sure they can help...
Thanks for all the info/advice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1924 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver test solution sells for about $5 a bottle on eBay. I've used it to deblob gold dollars several times. Sometimes it works, if the blob is silver solder. It hasn't affected the underlying gold coin.

Edited by thq
08/14/2019 09:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15643 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver test solution would work if it is silver solder, if it is gold solder I would not expect it to work. For gold solder you would use gold test solution but but the gold test solution will also attack the surface of the coin. But if the karet of the solder is lower than that of the coin it will attack the solder faster. If the solder is a significantly lower Karet you might be able to dilute the solution some so that it doesn't attack the coin but that would probably a little hit and miss.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1924 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a typical result on an 1860-S gold dollar.

The test solution removed enough of the solder to see the 0 of the date and confirm that it was an 1860-S. But much of the solder was untouched.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05