Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Don't Know Where Else To Post This...and I Think I Count As New!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  1:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Renpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, my name is Ren and my husband has always told me about his stash of coins...I always thought it was just some old pocket change (which even that is exciting but you guys! I found it and I'm in tears I don't even k is where to start. None of it is kept proper but it's been kept so so. What do I do?! How do I handle it?! I don't want to damage anything g...this is like my jaw is on the floor. There's everything. 1937 dimes I have what looks like Indian head nickels#129335;#127996;#8205;#9792;#65039; I can't right now I'm shaking this is so exciting...where do I start?!?!?!?

Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
US dimes, quarters, and half dollars dated 1964 and earlier are largely silver, and worth at least their buillion value, which currently is about 12 times face value. Later dated coins are worth more than face only in top condition, which the ones on your photos do not appear to be.

From here you might use what you've shown to continue building a collection. There's lots of information online by which to learn.
Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to take the time to search for rarities a good place to start is a " RedBook" you can find at a coin store or online. For other questions I would suggest practice taking clear pictures of 1 coin at at time and post here. There are many experts on many different types of coins who love to help!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2629 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To start, sort by denomination and year (perhaps on a piece of cloth, and handle them by the edge as much as possible), and as was suggested, get a Red Book and check for anything scarcer/ varieties/ better condition.

Then you need to decide what you want to collect, and how to grade coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of funny I have one of those tootsie roll container banks, and a mint tin that I keep odd coins in also. Treat it at least as carefully as you would think he would treat it. other than that, sort them by country, then type, then series for instance, sort by U.S. then Dimes, then mercury or Roosevelt dimes then by date so they are easier to go through and look them up. you won't be able to tell the specific coins value at your skill level but you will be able to tell if it has a chance at being valuable and then use extra care until you find out more. condition is king to values.

Another example would be U.S. coin cents, wheat cents then Lincoln memorial cents, then by date.
or Canadian, quarter, dime, nickle, cent, then by dates

tackle each "series" one at a time. but I've always found making sense out of a pile and getting it into some kind of order makes it easier to deal with.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bag of coins is likely all foreign currency, the metal box is pre 1964, most of which is silver, the large coins are all silver except for the bottom most ike which is probably not. The two coins wrapped by themselves are probably labeled. No idea whats in the round container, old pennies and dimes maybe? The lower halves don't look to be silver either. I would start by looking at the tail feather of the Sacagawea dollar, that Buffalo nickel, and any other Buffalo nickles or anything else older than 1940.

But everyone likes different things, just look at them as they catch your interest, and don't touch the faces of anything.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6696 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is nothing visible in your photos that would bring a total of $1000 to your family - so relax, deep a deep breath and control the tears.

With all deepest respect to your husband - we'll need photos of the treasured coins to help you evaluate them ... forget anything dated 1965 and beyond.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11219 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with nickelsearcher . Nice coins but you didn't find the treasure of oak island . Like previously said get a U.S. coins '' Red Book ''and that will give you all the info you need .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39324 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing jumps out as worth much, but the Red Book will answer most of your questions as suggested.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no "Treasure of Oak Island" (it's a television program).

The original poster would be ahead even if she spent the coins in a store.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericalynn13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an exciting find!

Remember long term, authentic coin collectors, whom have been collecting for many years are answering your posts here. For me it was a bit overwhelming at first, I had to remind myself that every one starts somewhere! This may be the start of your coin addiction. I keep things these guys say are spenders and not worth anything merely because I enjoy them!

I agree, sort what you have by denomination and years. Start internet searching the ones you visually enjoy. Also maybe ask and learn where they came from and why they were originally collected.

No matter what keep asking questions and HAVE FUN!!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05