Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1894 Morgan Silver Dollar - What's Your Grade?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rum_n_cola to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies. It sure is a good looking coin, the seller mentioned it being possibly under graded.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40311 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I must say that's the best-looking 63 I've ever seen, assuming the reverse is not a disaster.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rum_n_cola to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can not figure out why the coin was graded this low. The MS66 example coins on the PCGS website are not far of from this coin. The reverse is slightly nicer than the obverse. Here is a close up of the face. I just can't see any reason this is not graded at least MS64, and possibly MS65. Any thoughts? I am with you CoinFrog
Edited by rum_n_cola
08/15/2019 7:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40311 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a mystery to me. But without the numbers, I don't think we can be of much help to you from here out. Big spread on 63/64.
Edited by Coinfrog
08/15/2019 8:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17464 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There must be something we are not seeing in the photos to hold this one back for a higher grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1564 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a horizontal scratch across the upper neck, or maybe a die crack? Otherwise, looks like it could be a 64, but the photos aren't that sharp and it's probably best to grade this in hand.
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jstav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this coin on ebay, and then looked at PCGS MS64s. It does seem like it got the short end of the stick.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5050 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an easy 64 and 65 would not be a shock. If there aren't some hidden marks it does seem that PCGS was too harsh.
If you can get it at a 63 price it might turn out to a great buy!

I wonder if it would get a gold sticker from CAC....
Edited by Jaobler
08/16/2019 11:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8980 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that CAC may have already looked at it. You're potentially leaving money on the table by not doing so.
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
7536 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the undergrade. at least 1 point possibly 2 short
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40311 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd sure be tempted.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rum_n_cola to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is very tempting for sure. The seller sent me another photos of the obverse. Dang this looks right at MS65 from all comparisons I reviewed. Wander if NGC would do it some justice? I am in Tampa area, have ICG office I can walk into. Only issue is, for resale, their grades just don't hold up. Not sure why as I find them accurate, With Morgan's at least.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05