Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Couple Rare Types In Oddball Slabs

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  11:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all - still working on my type set, and still lacking a Wreath Cent and a Flowing Hair half (or a flowing hair anything for that matter). Look at these 2 coins ending later today -

1793 Wreath in a NTC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1793-Wreat...254328937483

1795 half in a PCI
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1795-FLOWI...293187205228

I kinda like the idea old oddball slabs, assuming no worries about authenticity. Any thoughts appreciated!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12770 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@timnh, I would say that numistrust corporation has at best a speckled history here on CCF. I would encourage you to use the CCF search functionality and look through old threads before you pull the trigger on the '93. Here are a couple links to get you started:

http://goccf.com/t/2266
http://goccf.com/t/2163

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
4185 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NTC is NOT to be trusted, PERIOD.

PCI is a trusted TPG. It's up to you to decide whether you agree with their grade.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2399 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My recommendations on a series that you are buying for the first time in the $500+ range is stick to the major TPG's, and buy at major auction house like GC or Heritage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40501 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EBay sellers with a high favorable feedback numbers and full return privileges are also good sources of major TPG graded coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These listings are prohibited per Ebay policy and will probably be removed. NTC is a worthless basement slabber. PCI is not much better. If spending a few hundred dollars one is best advised buying PCGS/NGC/ANACS graded coins.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good stuff guys, many thanks. I liked the idea of an old obscure slab, but not if it's considered fishy. I might still bid on the half if it stays low, see how I feel in a few hours :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Early PCI - and that is one - are perfectly reputable slabs. 10 digit cert# with two codes below the barcode.

There are a couple of later generations of the green box that are a little looser in their grading.

If you see the Gold Box PCI slabs, RUN... that was when they fell down into the midden.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
idk how that half graded straight with the scratch on liberty's face and 'x' on the reverse
Pillar of the Community
United States
7080 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1793 listing is gone. Am surprised the 1795 half made it this far.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12770 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$678 with about 12 minutes left!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12399 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I liked the idea of an old obscure slab, but not if it's considered fishy.

Nothing wrong with that, just stick to cheap coins when you do. The majority of expensive coins in off brand holders are there for a reason and many of them have already been tried to be crossed over.

Quote:
Am surprised the 1795 half made it this far.

Showing the VG 8 in the picture was the only technical violation. I wouldn't have bid on it but there was really nothing wrong with that listing overall
Pillar of the Community
United States
2514 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have grabbed that $1/2 in a blink, it was a steal!
Old PCI slabs are accurate and possibly undergraded
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15753 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those companies were good enough that authenticity probably would not be a concern, the grading is more questionable so ignore the slab grades and decide for yourself what they are.

Quote:
I would have grabbed that $1/2 in a blink, it was a steal!

Go ahead, it is still available. They relisted it starting at 99 cents. I take that back the seller ended the relisted auction.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
08/19/2019 4:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The relist was "ended because there was an error in the listing"
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
both listings gone. I don't know that much about those two graders, but never trust INB, from my personal experience. Bad coins, high 'grade'
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05