Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1871 Canada 50 Cent Grades / Comments

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  1:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

Have added this coin to my collection.
Grades and comments are welcomed for this 1871 50 cent piece!

Thanks in advance.

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtracy14 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one. AU-50.
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with AU-50 - nice details on the hair. Great coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin .. 50.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
826 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I adjusted your photos to sharpen the color contrast and clarity. What appears dark in the posted photos is actually blue-purple toning. I can see what attracted you to this coin. Very nice coin!

I can only see light wear on the top knot, central crown jewels and high points of the top jewels. Only a very light touch of wear exists on the eyebrow and left ribbon end at the neck. What I cannot tell from photos, but you will be able to tell with the coin in hand, is whether the toning is natural and how much luster remains beneath the toning. I see the halo around the portrait and around some of the letters, so I suspect there is a decent amount of luster present. I don't see any concerning contact marks.

Assuming natural toning, I think you are in the AU-50 range here, with a decent shot at AU-53 depending on underlying luster. Anything above EF is hard to find for an 1871. That's a beautiful coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40349 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-50 sounds right. Try not to hold the coin in your hand like this, please.
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fortcollins you got the eye of the tiger! Thank you for your comments and to the rest. These are seller photos and I wish he had put on gloves before showing...I was attracted to this coin from the detailing. Lots of underlying luster remains and very minor wear on higher points. No distracting marks are present and I think I may consider ICCS for grading. Although not a fan of their plastic holders.

Thank you guys!
Valued Member
Canada
352 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU50 very nice indeed
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10626 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you send it to ICCS, it will go AU-55
True North
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin has the repunched C in Victoria. Just saw that under the loupe. Anyone has any info about this variety?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1294 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful! That's a really nice coin!
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Alan! Any idea on population for a repunched C in Vic?
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anybody, somebody, everybody. I cannot find any trend price catalogue price auction records or mintage of this half dollar. If anyone knows anything on the repunched C please let me know.

Thanks guys
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2389 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1871 mintage is 200,000, the re-punched "C" is included in that mintage number, and there is no added value for it.

According to my Charlton 2015, 69th edition.
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay thanks silverwolf! I am assuming it falls under the same value as a regular 1871 with or without repunched C.
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin-Flipper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Major reason of asking is because ICCS charges for variety recognition and if no one cares about a repunched C variety then not worth spending money for the extra services lol
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05