Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Member Ed In Fort Worth, Texas

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  8:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coins4ed2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking for a coin collecting buddy to help me go through all my coins. I'm new to collecting and have amassed quite a bunch of coins that I need to sort through and figure out which ones I need to send off for grading and auction. Here's a pic of a dime I found in a road just the other day the letters are legible but deformed and the reeding on the side is even still there.

If anyone can tell me the specific classification of this error please let me know. It looks like a dyke lip but the planchette hasn't been clipped off. Almost all of the original coin is still there there reeding on the side is visible and all the lettering is also visible they're just different form help me out if you can please.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20025 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but you answered your own question, you found it in the road. It's just damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12732 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coins4ed2, first welcome to CCF. Second, as @bobby noted, your coin is damaged rather than being a mint error. This one can be spent, but I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have collected!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1515 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and to CCF...looking forwards to your other coins, good luck
Pillar of the Community
United States
1108 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CCF, Ed!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40385 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coins4ed2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks for the responses, I'm happy and smiling. For clarification I found this coin in a customer rolled bank roll. All of the lettering and reeding is on the coin they are deformed. There are no hammer marks and the coin doesn't look to have been heated. I could be wrong, it may be damaged, I don't know how they did it. If you can take a closer look at the coins, please tell me how they were damaged. Remember I'm happy and smiling. P.S. I was dictating my post yesterday, I must make a correction I don't find that dime in the ROAD, I found it in a ROLL, as in a roll of dimes, a customer roll I got at the Bank.
Edited by coins4ed2
08/19/2019 6:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16904 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How was it damaged? Almost impossible to say. Could it be an error. No.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20025 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
please tell me how they were damaged.

There are 100s of thousands of ways a coin can be damaged. There are specific ways error coins happen. Focus on those, if it can't happen at the mint, it's just not an error.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coins4ed2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone I understand I need to learn, know and understand the 8 primary types of damage. Then I won't bother all my new friends with stupid questions.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05