Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

3,153 World Coins - What Now?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  12:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Over the past 10 years I've accumulated 3,153 coins from over 90 countries. These coins came from friends who've travelled, my own travels or just as bonus coins or extras from auctions and sales over the last decade.

I have over 30 pounds of coins. What is my best bet to sell these. Everytime I travelled or my friend travelled, I kept a coin aside and these are all the extras from the bottoms of their pockets after arriving home.

I know the market is very saturated with world coins in bulk lots, what should I list these for? As a 30 pound lot, 30 x 1 pound lots, 100 coins per lot? Buy some cheap 160 coin collecting books and sell those with 160 coins in it. Divide it by country and offer a "80 countries 80 coins" sale. What would you reccomend. Or just dump it at a dealer and let them sell them for .25 cents each? What should I expect if I unloaded to a dealer, had anyone done this?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2238 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  01:14 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bulk lots on ebay normally go for $6-$10ish per pound, but shipping cost is the killer.
USPS has a bulk box deal, but Canada Post does not, so shipping from where and to where can make a big difference.
If you don't want to be bothered to deal with them, and/or don't care about the $, then I would be tempted to donate them to a charity etc rather than give them away to a dealer.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15771 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to agree with Wade.
Under those circumstances, I would be tempted to keep them, and not be bothered with trying to dispose of them.

I assume that you have already made the effort to check each individual coin for a potentially scarce type or issue.

Some years ago, I gave a few hundred World coins to a friend, who has since died. It doesn't bother me as to how they may have disposed after that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2068 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Social studies and history teachers at middle schools might like them.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
601 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not pick some of them as a core to start a themed collection, and sell/dump the rest?

Eg one from every country. ( OFEC ). How about OFEC but for the year of your birth, dated to that year?

The list of possible themes is really only limited by imagination.
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your responses everyone - to answer the question, no I have not searched these yet. I have too many Canadian categories of collections on the go which requires all my spare time so I haven't had a chance to search these. I might spend a few years going through them slowly and taking Anaximanders advice on starting a 1993 Birth Year and a OFEC collection!

Thanks again!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crickets1212 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a terrific assemblage of varied coins. I find that just fascinating to see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got a local coin club? Give some to them to give to kids as prizes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2360 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about OFEC but for the year of your birth, dated to that year?

Great idea. With a 1993 birthyear, there should be a lot in circulation
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update # 1

First ~1,000ish coins sorted. 66 countries so far. Abundance of Mexico, France, Germany and UK. Many neat coins!

Pillar of the Community
United States
7738 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like that's quite the project!

If you need help Identifying any coins, Numista is a great site to use...

https://en.numista.com/index.php
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15771 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You definitely have the start of an OFEC* collection there!

It would be very inexpensive to continue to build such a collection, by searching through the lowest price dealers' junk bins at their shop or at a coin show.
Alternatively, you could buy bulk lots of World coins on eBay by submitting low bids with a low prospect of winning, just to keep costs down.

You would end up with a quite interesting World collection that may not be worth much, but by the same token? coin, would not cost you much, either. You may even strike it lucky, by coming across a scarce or rare coin, or maybe an error.
There are lots of error collectors of U.S. coins, here in the CCF. I have quite a few World error coins.

* OFEC = One From Every Country.
There a number of OFEC collectors, here in the CCF.
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The next step is 3,154 coins.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2666 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from OFEC and a birth year set, how about a type coin collection? One from each type (or sub-type if you want) as per Krause. You might want to continue later. Dealers would give $3-4 per pound and sell for 10-25 cents each.
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
75 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I still have about 1500 coins to sort through and I found a few guys locally selling pounds of world coins.

I have 1 package of 7 lbs coming and 1 package of 3 lbs coming. Its crazy how cheap you can pick this stuff up. Works out to be about 0.05 cents per coin. Keep what I want and possibly donate the rest!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05