Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Get Silver Eagles For The Grade Or For The Bullion Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
183 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  4:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just a quick question. I started picking up Silver Eagles but only for the silver value. I get them locally ~ $2 over spot so I'm not picky as to MS grade. I guess the question is should I be looking at MS grade or is the silver content worth it by itself?

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you're grabbing ASEs for silver content only, I assume you are meaning the bullion version, and that's logical.

if you're pondering acquiring MS-grade (or PR-grade) ASEs, I assume you're thinking about acquisition of proofs or uncirculated (burnished) ASEs, or even mint sets containing one or more ASEs. that, too, seems logical.

i can understand ppl wanting graded examples of the bullion coins, but I don't know why anyone would want to acquire collector ASEs just for the silver. seems like this subject has been broached many times in the past. I think it all boils down to your preferences & how you want to hold your collection or stack, or both. like: are you collecting or just stacking ASEs? lots & lots of different things to consider.

i had to do the same thing when I set out down the ASE road. lot of technical things I had to work out before I started acquiring too much of one thing. in fact, I had to dip my toes into a little bit of everything, to have certain examples of ASEs in-hand, before I could come to any conclusions. ultimately, my own happiness trumped everything.

best of luck to you as you work your way through the ASE world. it's fun. I hope you have as much fun assembling your stash as I have had assembling mine.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(...should this be in the bullion thread?...)

edit: oops, I meant bullion forum, not thread)
Edited by MrPink2018
08/22/2019 06:36 am
Valued Member
183 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a bullion thread?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12397 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's up to you. The bullion ones will trade around spot price, the proofs/RPs/enhanced/collectors ones will have premiums attached and some of them will be large premiums especially if graded 70. There's people that collect all versions of them and it's really up to you which ones you like and want to collect
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16997 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to collect ASE as coins, rather than bullion, I recommend choosing one TPG and sticking with them. There are more NGC collectors (comparing registry sets), but PCGS is less expensive for some of the pedigree issues.

It would take over $60,000 to put together a 70 grade complete set. So starting with only one type is a good suggestion.

Ultra Cameo proofs are beautiful.
Valued Member
183 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the Ultra Cameos are beautiful. I guess the question is do I want Bullion or collectible coins. Thanks for the advice so far.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12397 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess the question is do I want Bullion or collectible coins.

Only you can answer that. It's really just what do you like better and makes you happier
Valued Member
183 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's really just what do you like better and makes you happier

HA. Making me happy would be a full set of IHC in Mint State :)

I'm thinking of just staying with the bullion value as it costs less and I have some pretty nice coins :) But I may pick up 1 or 2 ultra cameo as those are really nice.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beachnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchase one for each of my children and grandchildren every year as gifts. I also buy an extra for me as bullion. Throw it in the stack.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05