Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Collect Every Single Doubles Die?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious, do you guys collect ALL varieties you come across or do y'all put minor ones back in circulation? Also, how common is it to find a LSC doubled dies? It seems like every other roll I go through, I find minor LSC doubles dies. The bag I got from a bank last week has produced more 15 varieties. Is it common to find that many, albeit minor ones?
I wanna find some older doubles dies, but so far only having luck with LSC.

Please give your opinion if you can.

Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
24020 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pretty much keep every Doubled Die I find, even if it's minor (I keep most of them and usually let go Doubled Dies that are way too minor to list). As long as I can see it with my 10x loupe and my eyes, then I keep them.

Edited to add: Yes, Doubled Dies are very common on the Lincoln Shield Cent series.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Edited by Errers and Varietys
08/21/2019 7:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1276 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep all doubled die that I find. Exception would be doubled dies that are minor and beat up
The Error-Variety Ready Reference http://www.error-ref.com/

Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect. Thanks guys for your responses. I just thought it was ridiculous how LSC doubled dies I come across. LOM and EV I also only try to keep Best examples. There are many minor ones I put back because of condition or because they were to minor. Appreciate your feedback
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Btw, when you find DDs do you always post them on here to share with the forum?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2409 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As long as I can see it with my 10x loupe and my eyes, then I keep them.
I would think if you can see it with your eyes, then the 10x scope wouldn't be required.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2307 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm like Levels. Keep all DDs, throw back minor ones not in good shape. Since I'm working on a website, every little variety I find makes it more complete.

Shield Cent DDOs are fairly common especially when looking for doubled stripes as well. The big ones, though, can be tough to find.

Quote:
when you find DDs do you always post them on here to share with the forum?

No. I constantly find varieties in my collection I wonder why I haven't shown off yet. Taking photos and uploading is time consuming and I go through and find a lot of minor varieties that aren't really worth posting. I don't think people want 40-50 separate posts for my 40-50 2015 cent DDOs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1706 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep just about all the varieties that I find unless they are mangled and minor.
My issue is that I started all this before there was an online for all the great online resources to show up on. I always just put the coin in a 2x2 or tube , unattributed, and note what I had seen. Every once in a while I will cherry pick my cherrypicks for fun.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12770 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think people want 40-50 separate posts for my 40-50 2015 cent DDOs.

While it certainly is good to see examples of the various DDOs and DDRs you guys are finding, I agree that we don't need dozens and dozens of the same one posted.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only keep major ones myself. A lot of the coins I've posted I've put back into the Wild! That 2019 I just posted will probably go back for someone to find again one day!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for pitching in and giving your feedback. I'm trying to only keep the "good ones". Just today I found five doubles dies but they aren't significant enough. That's why I made this post to hear your opinion. Because, usually I post every variety I come across. From now on, I'm gonna gonna strive to post only significant ones.

Cheers,

Rookie2018
Pillar of the Community
United States
2578 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually keep the moderate-major ones. Whether small or big, they're getting harder to find.

-CH27
CoinHunter27
Collector of US errors and variety coins of all kinds

"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent"
-Carl Sandburg
Edited by CoinHunter27
08/21/2019 9:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for feedback dude!

Cheers,

Newb2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29074 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep all varieties I find unless they are minor or in bad condition. The more major the variety, the lower the condition matters to me.I do not post every find because I would overwhelm the forum server and it is not all that easy for me to post pics on CCF,and not easy to take good quality pics for me either.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great response John.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39099 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind that what you view as common to find, is probably impossible to find in other areas. Why? Because most releases only go to certain areas. The case in point, the extra leaves States Wisconsin quarters. These were a hot topic. I live 120 miles away from one of these locations. I've never seen one of these. The one cities news had this information broadcasted, all of these we snapped up. No more found. Basically in a week, they were gone. No mention of them since then in the area. So if you are finding a lot of listed doubled dies, put then into tubes, because in other areas they are limited to almost non existent. Keep the best ones, trade the rest. Then sell them later. If you snag a new one in your area, keep it quiet, save as many as you can get, then break the news later. Keep the best safe for another day. You won't regret it when you do start selling them.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05