Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8 Reales Counterfeit Stamped Falsa

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  12:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OgReadMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1780 8 reales that is stamped "FALSA" and "MANILLA CA.NL.MA" on the obverse.

Do I have anything here? (Other than a neat coin.)

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a pair of counter stamps from a Philippine bank or merchant listed in the top C/S and indicating their correct opinion that it's a fake at the bottom.

Certainly a great black book item.
Learn More...
United States
78200 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
776 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See the article on page 2 in this newsletter: https://worldnumismatics.com/wp/wp-...inal-Web.pdf
Edited by Kushanshah
08/22/2019 11:29 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10878 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4869 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Forum.

Great counterstamp - and applied to Counterfeit types that are fairly well known.

A wonderful addition to any counterfeit collection.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OgReadMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies.

Where would be the best place for me to start looking for someone who would want to add this to their collection?

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChipDehart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the rules say no counterfeits may be sold on the forum - No Exceptions. That's too bad because this is an awesome coin. I would suggest selling it on eBay. If you do, let us know. I'm sure there are several members who would be competitive bidders, myself included.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1206 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  02:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 0xDA71D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Swamperbob buys them.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OgReadMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, thanks for all the replies! I hope to get it put on ebay soon and will let you guys know.

Thanks again and I apologize for the delayed response.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4869 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2019  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OgReadMe I would definitely appreciate knowing when this coin will be sold. I would want to bid on this coin or at least follow the bidding on eBay. It is a fantastic coin which proves that the 1870 variety is NOT a punching error made in the 1790's as it was recently described by an auction house that will remain nameless.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OgReadMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it worth (or possible to) take steps to authenticate that it's a genuine contemporary counterfeit?

Something like PCGS or NGC for fakes?

edit: I will certainly be letting you know, swamperbob. Is it OK to post it on this thread when it happens?
Edited by OgReadMe
10/24/2019 10:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TPG's do not slab fakes. It will come back in a platic flip marked "NOT GENUINE."
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OgReadMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one the problems I have found in researching this. Even though it's a fake, it's genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would do well in a Stacks/Bowers NYITL auction. Still time to consign. Call a guy name Vicken Yegparian. Send him some photos. Stacks/Bowers handles contemporary counterfeits of the period - Heritage DOES NOT since its their company policy and probably also these can;t be slabbed. The Robbins Collection of Canadian Blacksmith Coppers a very rare noted exception to their company auction listing rule since this consignor had much more regal issues to consign so they allowed these counterfeits. Stacks/Bowers has sold the RIngo Collection of counterfeit 8 Reales as an example. JPL
Edited by colonialjohn
10/28/2019 6:02 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05