Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Trade Dollar Authenticity

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  7:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
can you help me with this Trade dollar, it is fake but I have to prove it to ebay

Edited by mrulon
08/24/2019 7:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2388 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it is fake but I have to ebay

can you please clarify this statement .. are you looking to buy this coin, or looking to sell it?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought it now if I can prove it is counterfeit I get my money back, I need specific points...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40302 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start by showing these pics right-side up, please.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
08/24/2019 7:17 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just explained again that I bought it, but have to prove to ebay, I loaded the pictures from my computer and they turned sideways I am new to the group and site
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12694 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mrulon, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'm bummed that you seem to be in the middle of a bit of a mess. Can you please give us an accurate weight and diameter for this piece? Thx.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2388 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
please provide the auction number, then we can provide you lots of information. including recourse against the seller if, fake.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10112 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12364 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just do a standard return, much less hassle
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It should weigh 27.22 grams. Most fakes weigh about 18 grams. If it is even 1 gram under weight, then it is obviously fake, because of the condition. The coin does not appear to be worn, so it should weigh the full amount.

Quote:
Just do a standard return, much less hassle

We don't want to do this, because then someone else will waste their money, and this person will continue to scam people out of their hard earned money. We want to stop these scammers so that fakes coins don't make their way into peoples collections.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12364 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We don't want to do this, because then someone else will waste their money, and this person will continue to scam people out of their hard earned money. We want to stop these scammers so that fakes coins don't make their way into peoples collections.

While noble it honestly makes no difference. There's an unlimited supply of fake Trade dollars that can be acquired cheaply out there.

The way to stop these isn't by trying to convince eBay it's fake to get rid of it, it's to get people to stop buying raw Trade dollars and stay away from the too good to be true deals. If the market dried up so would people doing it. Obviously that's unrealistic but educating people to stick to authenticated Trade dollars can at least help some future buyers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1563 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1877 Trade dollars should have a type 2 reverse, and this one has a type 1 reverse, so clearly fake. But if the seller accepts returns, it's probably easier to just return it, rather than trying to explain that to eBay.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The metal is not silver.
Your best bet is to call local coin shops and ask if they have a sigma metalytics machine that you could test the coin on and take a picture of the results. The results will show up in the red.
There is a characteristically unique sound that a silver coin will give off that resonates long after you "ping" it against another coin or metal object. The sound that this coin will likely give off is going to be short-lived and unusual in comparison.
I would bet that this coin is actually somewhat lighter than a normal Trade dollar and you could use a scale to show that off as well to Ebay.

You could also give them the link of this post you've made, showing the opinion of many others.... OR if the NGC validation option is still available on the listing of the coin even after it is no longer being sold, you could pay NGC to give their opinion that the coin is likely not genuine for a $5 fee...Ebay should recognize that since they allowed NGC onto their site to look for genuine/fake examples of coins for this fee.

Good luck.
Edited by JoggingLiberty
08/25/2019 12:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12364 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
OR if the NGC validation option is still available on the listing of the coin even after it is no longer being sold, you could pay NGC to give their opinion that the coin is likely not genuine for a $5 fee...Ebay should recognize that since they allowed NGC onto their site to look for genuine/fake examples of coins for this fee.

Shouldn't have to pay to get such an inconclusive opinion which really just encourages more fake listings if people are paying to find out.

Should save the stress and just return it. Policing the internet is a losing battle and if they don't want to do it people shouldn't have to pay NGC and eBay for it to happen
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
94 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with everyone, which seems counter intuitive, but it is much easier to return than prove it a fake, but I also want this thing out of circulation, I don't think it will come right back in, in this case I think the seller is oblivious to the fact it is fake (she says it was her fathers and she is settling the estate) but eventually someone will get it as an inheritance etc and it will be back. I also agree with slabbed coins, but I recently read that these Trade dollars are showing up in fake PCGS slabs, and that the Chinese are using planchets that are designed with lasers from authentic coins. This expert feels that there are fakes that have been deemed authentic and slabbed legitimately. I am obviously new to coin collecting, but it almost seems that the coin collecting past time may be ending as we know it. Technology is taking it from those counterfeiting to those making unauthorized but "real" coins. Lastly it is against the law to pass or send through the mail counterfeit US currency, and knowing it is fake means that I would be breaking the law. By law I have to turn it over to law enforcement which means I need ebay to refund for a counterfeit, believe me I would much rather not deal with it, but I was not careful enough to begin with, I will be lucky if it doesn't cost me $500
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18416 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just return it. Just can't help the entire world about these things.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05