Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Celticknot's Slabbed Ike Collection

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 3,246Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10496 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  11:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Several months back I decided to dip my toe into the murky waters that is collecting slabbed moderns. I decided to start with an affordable set, so I picked Ikes, knowing there are several very knowledgeable Ike collectors here that surely will be able to provide expert guidance. Also I wanted to complement my Dansco as well as be able to compare/contrast the coins in that album that I think are solid coins with what the experts have graded.

Anyway, over in the Supplies forum I solicited help on how to display/store said slabs and after a lot of really good advice, I decided on the Lighthouse mahogany 50-slab box.

Now to fill it.

I've already slain the following, most of which I would consider low-hanging fruit... readily available and relatively cheap, especially if you seek out "make an offer" auctions or are patient with regular auctions. Even BINs are cheap in a lot of cases:

o PCGS PR69DCAM Silver 71, 72, 74, 76T2, 77, 78
o PCGS PR69DCAM Clad 73, 76T1, 76T2
o PCGS PR69DCAM 90 P Commemorative (Note on this one, the seller was out of 69s and upgraded me to a PRDCAM70...no complaints here)

Average cost on these 10 slabbed coins is $17.29. I feel that's reasonable given my market research. Thoughts? I don't have the patience to wait for the absolute lowest price possible but I still want a good deal.

After these there are lots of holes to fill and I'm trying to determine the best cost per grade on some of the business strikes. Suggestions? I know I'm not going to get 69s for most of the rest of what I'm looking for - I'm not willing to pay those prices. Set sights on 64/65 for the MS?

Thanks all.

P.S. Here is how I am tracking this collection, if you are interested.

Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're looking to stay around the $20 dollar mark you'll need to stay with MS 64s for the 71 P and the 76 Type 1 (the P is like twice the price of the D).

Some of it depends on how congruent you want the set. A couple dates are significantly more expensive than the others. You can get a 78-D MS 66 for a little less than a 71-P 65 as an example. The later dates come nicer so do the D coins so they will be cheaper in better grades.

You could do a 65/66 set for about $80-100 a coin (come less than that), or do a 64/65 set and not ever go over 30 bucks a coin since you aren't including the 1972 type 2 or varieties.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10496 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, basebal21.

I should say I want to do what's right for the collection, not necessarily my wallet, based on the Proof 69's I've already purchased (to your point of a congruent set).

I'm not set on keeping it at a specific $/coin, I just want the hunt to be fruitful and efficient (oh, and enjoyable - and so far I'm having a blast).
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just want the hunt to be fruitful and efficient (oh, and enjoyable - and so far I'm having a blast).

That's definitely the most important. If you aren't overly concerned about the cost I think a 65/66 set would be the most aesthetically pleasing doing the 65s on the 71 P, 72 Type 1 or 3 which ever you pick, 73 P, 74 P, 76 Type 1 and possibly the 76 D type 1, and then a 66 on everything else. You should be able to do that whole thing for under a 100 a coin, that's the grades below the big money grades. If you went all 65s that would make a lot of the D half priced or less from their 66.

You have a lot of options and grade choices you can go with at reasonable prices for Ike business strikes.

I think its an underappreciated series when you see a nice one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48808 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you're off to a great start!
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19337 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I have no slabbed coins at all. However, I do like your record spread sheet. I'd like to make a few comments though.
1. Why no face value?
2. Silver value is subject to change all the time so why list?
3. What is the check mark for?
4. Are all costs including things like postage, handling, insurances, ebay fees, etc.?
5. Why not have a col for type separate?
OH well it's your record sheet.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1026 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While posts like this peak my interest at diving into Ikes, I currently only have the Ikes that my uncle gave me years ago. So, I don't have any advice our suggestions. Best of luck .... I think you are off to a good start and I like your spreadsheet.
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Why no face value?
Ike dollars. It is in the name.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6825 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well on your way friend - looking forward to any updates you provide on this pursuit.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
693 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ElonU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really looking forward to seeing this set progress! I've thought about doing some similar with the Ike's....so this may end up being my muse to pull the trigger!
Always collecting silver wartime Jefferson nickels '42-'45!
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive start.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10496 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@just carl:

Quote:
1. Why no face value?

Face value is there and is a calculated field; look between the main grid and the legend on my sheet. Currently I have $10 total face. If you're saying that I don't list in the grid that each coin is $1 face, then yeah, jbuck has it nailed with this being exclusive to Ike $1 coins.

Quote:
2. Silver value is subject to change all the time so why list?

True, but I routinely update silver spot on my workbook and it is referred to by multiple sheets. I like to see what, in theory, I or someone else could sell my collection for if only PM value were taken into consideration.

Quote:
3. What is the check mark for?

It's really just a visual for me to indicate that I have purchased the coin and it resides in my collection. I also use it for that purpose in my calculations using the COUNTA function.

Quote:
4. Are all costs including things like postage, handling, insurances, ebay fees, etc.?

Indeed they are. Note the "double dagger" in the "Cost" heading and refer to it in the legend.

Quote:
5. Why not have a col for type separate?

I have toyed with that and will probably do so at some point.

Quote:
OH well it's your record sheet.

Indeed it is but all the same I value your input and questions. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Edited by CelticKnot
08/26/2019 11:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10496 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advice, basebal21. Very much appreciated.

Quote:
Looks like you're off to a great start!

Thanks, Coinfrog!

Quote:
Looking good!

Thanks, jbuck!

Quote:
Best of luck .... I think you are off to a good start and I like your spreadsheet.

Thanks, CitationSquirrel! I think curating the spreadsheet is almost as fun as curating the collection itself.

Quote:
Well on your way friend - looking forward to any updates you provide on this pursuit.

Thanks, nickelsearcher! I will provide updates with every acquisition, friend.

Quote:
Really looking forward to seeing this set progress! I've thought about doing some similar with the Ike's....so this may end up being my muse to pull the trigger!

Thanks, ElonU! I hope you do. It's been rewarding so far. And like I said, this is an affordable way to start given the limited nature of the series. Gives an opportunity to dabble in errors, obscure varieties, toners, ephemera, etc.

Quote:
Impressive start.

Thanks, Ballyhoo!
Edited by CelticKnot
08/27/2019 12:27 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10496 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2019  02:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Snagged the 74S Clad PR69DCAM tonight; should have in hand early next week. I'm running out of the low-hanging fruit.

I intend to start posting photos here as well; I just need to peruse the photography section and find an article on how to take good photos of slabbed coins with an iPhone.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3414 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2019  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were me, I'd split the MM from the Type - it's always easier to concat() a couple columns than to split them.

Also, add the PCGS cert# - you can then add a =HYPERLINK() to jump out to PCGS.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 3,246Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05