Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Artificially Toned Vs. Naturally Toned Vs. Intentionally Toned

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,808Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
5084 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2019  9:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any thoughts on this?

Naturally toned is when a coin is put away, stored, lost somewhere and years later when it is found again it is no longer bright and shiny like when it was struck.

Artificially toned is applying heat or chemical or whatever to a coins surface to instantly or rapidly change colors.

Now this brings up "Intentionally" toned.

You read on the forums that Wayte Raymond boards or albums would tone coins "naturally" back in the day so you go buy one and stick your coins in them in hopes of them turning rainbow colors.

Or you read that environments high in sulfur will make your silver coins turn all kinds of rainbow colors over time so you get some sulfur and and box and throw your coins it.

It "intentionally" toned considered "artificially" toned because you put your coins in these conditions in hopes of changing them? Or is it naturally toned because it took months or years for it to change and you couldn't predict how the colors would come out?

There was a post back in the day about putting your silver coins in unbleached brown fast food napkins and putting them up in your attic and that should cause / speed up the toning process.

Here's my ASE that has been sitting in my garage for 3 years through hot humid summers and cold subzero winters. The obverse has toned more than the reverse I assume because one side was facing up and the other was resting on a flat surface.

Edited by jack jeckel
08/28/2019 9:12 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17752 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The difference between Natural toning and artificial toning is one thing, intent. If it is put in a napkin, bag, a high sulfur environment, high heat, or even in an old Wayte Raymond holder with the intent that they tone....it is artificial toning. The problem is that since natural toning and many forms of artificial toning are the result of the coin metal reacting with the same chemicals to form the same oxide,sulfide, sulfate, carbide etc layers. All you can do is look at the coin and somehow get divine intervention that tells you if there was inted or not in the creation of the toning. In some cases the toning it so poorly done that the intent is obvious, but in many cases there is NO WAY to prove whether it is natural or done with intent.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4429 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  10:58 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All that matters is wether the toning is Market acceptable to the grading services .
No matter how it got toned!
Learn More...
United States
118429 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All that matters is wether the toning is Market acceptable to the grading services .
No matter how it got toned!

All toning is a natural chemical process.

The AT versus NT debate does nothing but add confusion. A toned coin is either attractive or it is not.
Rest in Peace
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning affects eye appeal. Eye Appeal affects value, both positively or negatively.

You vote with your hard earned cash as to the acceptability of the toning and how it changes your buying decision.

I keep it simple and search for UNDIPPED luster as close to as minted as possible. All toning is damage, regardless of its beauty. I'm betting my grandkids will be glad I searched for natural BRIGHT coins. As close to as originally minted should be everyone's choice (although it's not) - but true patience is required.
Valued Member
Turkey
123 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add apeka to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer to have coins look like as they newly minted. For me its only acceptable the toning on ancient copper and zinc coins. When I say ancient I mean its literal meaning an'cien. From 100 years ago.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20732 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  07:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sort of dislike any toned coins. I try to only have not toned coins. However, not always possible. Many toned coins can appear as AT or NT or maybe something else but I doubt in many instances most people just can't tell the difference.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20362 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2019  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be safe and sure:
'Buy the coin, not the tone'.

Multicolor toning found on coins for whatever the reason,
is an unstable transitory state between blast white and a full even gray non luster appearance.
To be pedantic, toning is a form of surface corrosion.

Some like toning, some don't. I don't mind either way.
Nevertheless, original blast white is as a coin appears, when freshly minted, in absolutely pristine condition.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Star to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"All that matters is wether the toning is Market acceptable to the grading services" Really should say "all that matters is whether toning is acceptable to the collector shelling out the money for the coin." I know some collectors who won't buy toned coins and others who will pay a nifty premium for toning, especially dollars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5084 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
3 years later (6 total)

If I would have known it would have worked I would have chosen a better Eagle that didn't have milk spots or whatever is going on with it on the reverse.

Edited by jack jeckel
08/25/2022 8:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9986 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2022  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice photos, by-the-way.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20362 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures taken 3 years later show a natural progression to a darker tone, and will eventually degrade to an even, lusterless gray.
That is exactly as one would expect.
That is also what an intending buyer should expect, if considering nicely toned coins.

"Beauty strength and youth are flowers fading seen"
- George Peele (English poet):- A Farewell to Arms
Learn More...
United States
118429 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4162 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I would quit while you're ahead. No telling what it will look like in 3 more years if you keep it wrapped up in that napkin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
698 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice toning. I'd turn it around so the reverse tones more or lean it on the edge.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2022  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pictures. That is very impressive. I really like that obverse toning.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 2,808Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: