Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$4000++ For A 1918 Canada Cent?! What Am I Missing Here.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12459 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which would you rather have -

1. the one graded MS66RD
or
2. the one graded MS65RD and and $4534

How about neither and start a college fund for someone, or help a homeless person back on their feet, or pay someones medical bills that can't afford it. The list goes on and on.

Finances are all relative and none collectors mock you in the same way you mock those at the top of the food chain.

It should be celebrated that there are people who are passionate enough about these series to bid these up to where they sell at, not constant jealously that the best of the best costs a lot
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the MS65 And bid ($322) on it but no joy. I only wish I still had the type set I sold off when I became editor of World Coin News (Krause) back in the 80's. You could get really nice (un-slabbed) bronze coins back then for a very low price.

I still don't think a beautiful coin is worth 10 times more than a similar one, just because the is a "6" on a tiny piece of cardboard instead of a "5"
Pillar of the Community
United States
591 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However when it's at the top of the condition census it's no longer common.

The coin is still common, the subjective grade is not.

Change my mind.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12459 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin is still common, the subjective grade is not.

Change my mind.

No interest in trying to play gotcha games and that isn't me trying to be a jerk or anything.

Condition/grade is a fundamental aspect of collecting. There is nothing common in cases like the example of the finest known.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1323 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats to whomever bought it, must be blazing luster!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2712 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High prices for high grade coins is not something that I attach great value to, but I would not call someone crazy if they do. It is a kind of game, and I am quite sure that the purchaser was quite happy with his/ her purchase. People have spent a lot more on their other games.

I am personally quite nervous, from a financial perspective, of owning something whose value is so subjective and fragile (a tiny bump and 90% of the value is gone). For the same reason I would not want a proverbial Ming vase in my house, assuming I could afford it, as I would always be afraid of it breaking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
591 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No interest in trying to play gotcha games and that isn't me trying to be a jerk or anything.

Condition/grade is a fundamental aspect of collecting. There is nothing common in cases like the example of the finest known.

Not playing games, don't think you are a jerk.

But the coin itself is one of hundreds of millions (or is it billions? Didn't look at numbers.) It's a common coin.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12459 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But the coin itself is one of hundreds of millions (or is it billions? Didn't look at numbers.) It's a common coin.

If you don't think condition matters I'll be happy to make all the trades you want where you give me higher graded coins, after all it's just common coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
591 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you don't think condition matters I'll be happy to make all the trades you want where you give me higher graded coins, after all it's just common coins.

Hmmm, I don't see where I posted that I thought condition didn't matter.

But I like you, so I'll tell ya what I'm gonna do. I will give you all my MS70 Lincoln Memorial cents minted after 1983, in exchange for any ground recovery Lincoln from the same time period.

But first I need to start buying those MS70 coins. I plan on buying them when the price is in line with those coins "rarity" numbers.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12459 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hmmm, I don't see where I posted that I thought condition didn't matter.

But I like you, so I'll tell ya what I'm gonna do. I will give you all my MS70 Lincoln Memorial cents minted after 1983, in exchange for any ground recovery Lincoln from the same time period.

But first I need to start buying those MS70 coins. I plan on buying them when the price is in line with those coins "rarity" numbers.

If you believe there are any the price is already basically in line for those. I tend to agree with PCGS that there aren't any 70s well at least as not as many as NGC has graded anyways, but even with an open mind that there could be I haven't seen any I would grade as such.

Point was that even if something is a common coin, the premium examples of it are generally anything but common. The only way to ignore the condition when talking about how common or rare it is is to say that condition doesn't matter which very few collectors are willing to do. If the grade/condition matters than those grades are not common
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1471 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're all coin people here. Pretty sure we all go through our pocket change before tossing it into the dump jar. Every time you see an exceptional coin you know it. Those ugly, 2-dimensional Washington quarters we have these days get a second look when you pull an early die state example that hasn't been trashed. I still spend them, but I appreciate the difference.

I certainly see how condition is important and how unusual high grade examples can be. Graded / ungraded, MS / circulated, etc. is a matter of individual taste. I don't fault anyone who wants to shell out the big bucks for top pop coins or population rarities. The only reasons I don't are noted in my bank account. Kudos to those who can and do!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1542 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And just to close the loop, I see Lantern today knocked off Willamette as the #1 registry set IN George V Large cents........
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1542 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just one other interesting tidbit. Lantern has taken the #1 position in this set and has been in a 15 year battle with Willamette over it. It is a well contested category. But when you look at the Lantern #1 set, of the 10 dates in the set, it only has 1 coin that is tied for first. All the rest have higher graded coins out there. If you look at other Canadian registry sets in major categories, the top set usually has many top ranked coins. Odd.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05