Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Never Came Across A LMC Like This What Caused This?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  02:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Cent has copper but the coin is grey zinc I guess funny how it never rotted away I guess its zinc just in top and bottom corners can u see copper.the coin doesn't look scratched or cleaned it's like the copper never was applied but the coin has copper around it?

Edited by Curveball
09/08/2019 02:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to have been plated
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly. With zinc again? I'm pretty knowledgeable about my metals I'm a welder by trade that's allied work with. That's zinc notice the blue grayish tint from being exposed to oxygen. Its almost like the coin was struck normal because outside of rim show copper. Make me wonder if plated or dipped in something why copper around rim should be first to go. That's why I posted this there's slight traces of copper like it just faded away.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it magnetic? How much does it weigh?
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No it's not magnetic. Good question I dint have a digital handy but I'd like to know how much it weighs. Interesting I'll do that later on today
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal weight would be around 2.5 grams
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx @Lawest I'll check it asap and let u know what it weighs.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
23930 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  08:33 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably just another Lincoln Memorial cent with the Copper plating chemically stripped off. PSD.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's probably true E&V. But what if it's not. the rim is normal. I want to meet this sorcrist who can dissolve copper which is a precious metal and leave a trash metal like zinc untouched. It doesn't make sense in the metal world. Its a very interesting cent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion copper was stripped off with acid but not far enough to completely finish the job and the stopped before it ate up the zinc too much. If it were done by electrolysis to strip it would have less copper left behind on the edges ect.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the only thing I could figure some fool put a drop but was careful enough to not let it touch rim and smart enough to know when it touched the zinc to wash it off. Officially why would somebody do this and who ever did half way knows what they are doing zinc is brittle if u are strong enough it breaks easy and is brittle at room temp. Idk seems like to much work to me. Honestly idk were I found this coin or if inherited it found it in my uncle's collection in a lil box with some euros. I know he didt do that no telling when he plucked that coin outta circ. He kept it for a reason
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible in the minting process that the planchet was struck like this and this is what zinc looks like when a die hits it. Say when cutting out the planchets this was a bad spot on the sheet I'm sure it's big sheet of copper plated zinc then the planchets get punched out st the mint. Just wondering if that's possible?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4180 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like others I think the copper plating was removed.
But if so, how?

At first I thought it might have been heated and the copper plating had flaked off.
But I decided not.

I discount acid since I believe zinc is more reactive than copper.
I'd be surprised if it could be removed from an acid bath before significant damage to the zinc core happened.
BUT with a hint of copper showing on the obverse (and on the edge) and the grainy appearance of the zinc surfaces I guess it's possible.

So for now I'm in the "acid" camp.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
543 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it possible in the minting process that the planchet was struck like this and this is what zinc looks like when a die hits it. Say when cutting out the planchets this was a bad spot on the sheet I'm sure it's big sheet of copper plated zinc then the planchets get punched out st the mint. Just wondering if that's possible?

The copper plating is applied after the planchets are punched out and the proto-rims are upturned (formed).

It's possible it is a bad plating job but not able to tell from the images.

EDIT: It looks to me that the copper is "peeking out" from under the gray color which suggests this is just staining from some sort of liquid, environmental cause or maybe even dull spray paint. Yours exhibits no mint luster which is a diagnostic for real unplated cents.

Here is a link to an article in CoinWorld on them by Mike Diamond.
https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...nghouse.html .

Hope this helps.
Edited by Petespockets55
09/08/2019 09:52 am
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope these help

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15748 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2019  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I want to meet this sorcrist who can dissolve copper which is a precious metal and leave a trash metal like zinc untouched. It doesn't make sense in the metal world.

Different acids attack different metals at different rates. It IS possible to remove the copper plating and leave the zinc relatively unscathed. I say relatively because the zinc surface does show the picro pitting of a chemical corrosive attack.

Protecting the copper on the edge is easy. take a candle and rub it around the edge of the cent before putting it in the acid. The candle will leave a wax layer on the edge that will protect it from the acid.

Quote:
and this is what zinc looks like when a die hits it.

When a die strikes a zinc planchet you get the same smooth lustrous surface that striking a copper planchet gets, just a different color.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05