Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Picked Up Another Morgan Dollar 1887.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details Polished
Pillar of the Community
United States
1675 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I missed that it was a proof a few months ago, I'll take another stab at it and say PR-64 straight.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hint: It is a proof and it straight graded.
I have trouble grading proofs, that's why I like your comments.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2447 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PR66
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2019  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna go PR65
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
66 but looks like someone used a cloth to wipe it.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I expected at least MS 63.

Either I am still not very good with proofs or it was under graded.
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2019  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats. Beautiful coin
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smoke1439 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the pictures I would think 63. Maybe we are not seeing something.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8060 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the obverse dull areas (based on the photos) may have contributed to the 62 grade vs a 63
Pillar of the Community
United States
7927 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are those hairlines common in Morgan proofs

In the 60-63 range they are. The surfaces on these coins are so delicate that even the slightest mishandling will cause hairlines. The large fields on the Morgans often make them look worse than they actually are. The same is true for DMPL coins.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems a bit strict on the Morgan grading considering the pf64 coins from other coin types I see, but I don't get paid to grade coins either.

Beautiful coin specimen regardless. If it is true they were known to wipe them down at the mint after the coining process then that's too bad seeing that they are delicate like that.

Thanks for sharing!
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2019  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your inputs everyone.
I am still learning on proofs.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05