Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What About This 1892 Morgan

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ebay doesn't require to collect from MA but this dealer is in NH and does significant business in MA so just as when a NY dealer or CA dealer sells on ebay to their state or anywhere they do business enough... they collect the tax. Ebay told me they have nothing to do with it.... so I guess I can look for the coin from a different dealer, or buy $1000 worth because MA does not require tax on purchases that large or larger.... Oh well
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The question of sales tax is determined by where the dealer is located, not the buyer.

The South Dakota v. Wayfair decision essentially left it up to each state to determine which sellers should be required to pay sales tax, and the big marketplaces, (Amazon, Ebay, Etsy) are applying the rules somewhat differently so expect to see some inconsistencies in how this is applied.

However, if your seller is in NH then you shouldn't have to ever pay sales tax because NH has none.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He says he has a nexus in MA which then requires him to collect I know that APMEX and JM Bullion also collect tax on sales to me if under $1000 and those are located in OK I believe
Pillar of the Community
United States
1587 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The question of sales tax is determined by where the dealer is located, not the buyer.

That's actually backwards. The application of sales tax is based on the location of the buyer, not the seller.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  03:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...dealer is located

Possibly he meant to say where the taxes are initially assessed or imposed from.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05