Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof Vs Uncirculated . Which Is Better?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  3:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 3wheels to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm very new to coin collecting and am looking at starting a tradition and buying a set of uncirculated coins each year for each of my kids. I'm wondering which is better to buy for them. A proof set or uncirculated set? Am wondering which might be more valuable down the road for them if they were to decide to sell the coins individually or as a set if any of the coins start selling at premiums. It almost seems like uncirculated is the way to go, but would welcome expert feedback. :)

Thanks in advance.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Currently both older proof and uncirculated are selling for LESS than they cost from the mint, so I don't know if any are good "value" . I recommend you pick the one you like more. I like proofs as they are different than regular coins. But again uncirculated cost less and you get twice the coins (p&d mints) while proof is just s mint.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17350 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The U.S. Mint provides excellent detailed listings of everything they sell. There are many choices offered each year.

If you are intending to buy directly from the mint it very much depends on how much you wish to spend. Last year, in 2018 alone, you would have needed to spend $36,550 to have one of everything they sold. Obviously there are almost no buyers at that level.

Once you've taken some time to review what they offer stop back again with what looks best to you and we can advise much more specifically.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't choose either for what they might be worth one day.

For gifts to kids, I would select proof sets, and leave the p and d mint coins for pocket change searches.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3wheels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess what I'm looking for are uncirculated type coins that are in excellent condition in that perhaps way down the road individually, some of those coins might be in demand or sell for a premium. Wondering individually, are proof coins or uncirculated individual coins a better investment long term.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roger Engelken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never bought the uncirculated sets or proof sets for their potential value down the line. I buy them for their beauty and representation of the coins struck by the United States Mint. I do buy a proof set, silver proof set and uncirculated set each year. I should note that a proof is a method of striking a coin, whereas an uncirculated is a grade of the coin struck. Uncirculated sets will be cheaper, with more coins (Denver and Philadelphia strikes), whereas Proof sets historically have sold more and have less coins (San Francisco strikes). Of course there is that West Point coin and multiple quarters each year to contend with.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3wheels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just looking at the standard coins. Penny, Nickel, Dime and Quarter. For example the set this year comes with a W penny and I'm guessing that is worth it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41242 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Complicated subject, like comparing apples and oranges. Whatever you decide, don't do it for the "investment" potential. Proof sets (including the half dollar) from over 60 years ago are still available for around $20.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12450 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wondering individually, are proof coins or uncirculated individual coins a better investment long term.

Neither are good investments from the mint. The price will likely go down and the quality can be so so. The after market you can pick them yourself and potentially create some upside with the uncirculated coins.

There's no upside on the normal proof sets now. There's enough of them that enough 70s will get graded and the big boys can get those graded dirt cheap which also keeps the prices down.

The uncirculated most have no upside either. However, the premium business strike examples are worth more and sometimes much more when graded. So if you pick nice sets you could have potentially created upside.

Either way the sets themselves have basically no upside unless the mintages drastically decline or something like that. If you like them get them, but they wouldn't be good for investment. If it has to be one of these two get the unciruclated
Pillar of the Community
United States
7787 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right now, the market is (and will probably will be forever) flooded with both proof and mint sets. The LCS I worked at just shipped 10 boxes of proof sets and we still have too many. No one is buying right now.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11591 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing , you have to realize that proofs are a special method of striking a coin .It is not a grade condition as in uncirculated coins . I believe over the past few years the mint has put out some fantastic looking gem uncirculated coins all denominations . Also the Proof coins in 69-70 are a beauty in the making . So it's your call but if I were you ,for your kids I would give them OBW rolls of all denominations each year . the trick is to salt them away in plastic tubes that are a little bigger than the papered roll .cap tightly closed and tell them not to open them until they are in their adult world . Not very exciting for them but it's almost a sure thing for the long term holding .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10036 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 529 is a much better investment.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3wheels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice. What about the W Pennies?
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are going to be as many W pennies as sets of proof/uncirculated are sold. Today they are hot, I believe the price will go down to what a comparable proof penny costs so a few dollars.

I got 2 W pennies and probably did 25% of the people here. The reverse proof maybe the hardest to get as the mint sells less silver proofs.
Edited by hfjacinto
09/15/2019 2:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7088 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  11:00 am  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Roth IRA is a good investment if you are young. Other than that, buy the coins you like.
Edited by edweather
09/15/2019 11:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12450 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What about the W Pennies?

The top grade business strikes should do alright. The proofs probably stagnate.

The unknown is will the mint do more of these in the future, that can either help or hurt depending on how it is done but generally would cheapen these
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05