Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Bicentenial Ike DDO

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
595 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  10:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won a 3 piece bicentennial Uncirculated set and proof set combo at auction. I was surprised to find notching on most peripheral devices on the Ike dollar obverse when it came. The notching shows best on the foot of the R on LIBERTY but also the first and third 7 of the date. Not sure if IGWT shows thickness or if that odd shape is normal for the design.

Tough to get decent images through the plastic so let me know if more might be helpful.

Not sure if it has a variety # since I focus mostly on Lincoln's. Or if it may even be master die doubling like the war nickels I found last month.

Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated.

Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is cool. I think that the notching is normal. I am not sure though. Very nice coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for looking James.
My understanding is the notching could be normal if this year produced a doubled master die like on the 1972 Lincoln series.

That is what I'm trying to find out or if it is true doubling to the working die. I'm just not familiar with any resources for varieties on Ike dollars. Variety Vista only has RPM's from what I have found.
Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3501 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pete, I have one just like it where you can see the notching in the left hand corner of the R and the split in the bottom right leg of the R. It was rejected as not strong enough.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
563 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could try theikegroup.info

But considering you can find sextupled Ike's it's probably fairly normal. I'll try to see if I have any blue bicentennials to check but I think I only have silver proofs at the moment.

Edit: it is one the one I have, but that's not a very large subject pool so the Ike group may still be your best bet.
Edited by Gincoin43
09/16/2019 5:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Jbuck, Jim0815 and Gincoin43.

Jim0815, I think I saw that thread on the Ike group but haven't got the email approval yet to post a new topic.
I wasn't sure if yours was the same and had notching on the date as well.

Notching is visible on the xx7x-1x76 and separation on the x976 of the date.
It seems odd that with all the VAM fever going on with any mint induced blemish for Morgans, Ike collectors would be listing all varieties trying to keep up.
"V-Ikers" (V-Ikings) must be a more laid back group.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05