Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 Penny - Flat And Smooth

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  11:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rkmcdaniel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this coin in my change today.. The coin weigh 2.28 G and the coin is flat and smooth. The edges are worn down and smooth as well. I can see the date of 2000 and looks like the copper plating has worn off and exposing the zinc core. Has anyone ever come across this type of coin?
Is it just a damaged coin?

I appreciate your feedback.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:13 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I can't tell much from the photos, but what I do see looks like a dryer coin and your description is dead on. dryer coins spend time in the drum of a dryer and each tumble causes the coin's edges to round out. It also wears away at the surfaces. Do a search for the term " dryer coin" and you'll find images of other coins. See if they match your coin's features.

If you can get better photos of your coin, it would really help.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
1955 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF...work on the photos, can't tell anything...We'll be here hoping to see better photos....good luck
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13573 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  04:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For sure it is damaged, but clearer pics might help us to figure out how. @yokozuna's hypothesis that it is a dryer coin is as good as any.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42245 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much better pics please.

to the CCF!
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rkmcdaniel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I apologize for my early pictures. I am new at this and will strive to improve. Anyway, here are some close up pictures of front and back. I think it better shows the edges of coin and lack of rim. The darker part around edges is smooth and flat. Thanks again for your feedback.

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rkmcdaniel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is back of coin.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The digital photos are great for details, but they look almost like a negative image. Can you take a photo with another camera? They should be well lit images of the obverse and reverse of full coin. We need to see the true colors, shape and areas in question, as it would appear to the naked eye.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05