Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1928 $100 Gold Certificate Star Note

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Still In Circ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if that's the case, submit it to PMG.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2294 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note is easily worth $3K...VF20 and VF25 sell for over $5K.

You would be doing yourself a favor by consulting Nancy Poli about stain removal and then having it graded. There are only about a dozen of these to go around. Prices are strong in all grades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4649 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting! Most of us have NEVER seen a small size C-note gold star!

Sounds like you've had the note for years so taking another year to plan your course of action will pay dividends in the long run.

Don't even think about selling your note in an online forum or online auction site until you know EXACTLY what it may be worth.

Get the stain professionally remediated and then get the note professionally graded.

Once all that is done get professional auction houses to evaluate your note. The more opinions, the better!

That note could be the cornerstone of a fantastic currency collection. (Who knows, YOU might just catch the collecting bug!) Once THAT note is gone you'll probably never find another!

Good luck and please keep us posted!

And by the way.... a big to the Community!

Edited by westernsky
09/16/2019 4:01 pm
Learn More...
United States
77153 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I always remember them Jbuck!

Quote:
Sorry, I'm new to this and actually don't have plans of selling at this time. I was just trying to get a better idea of what I had as I don't have much knowledge about paper money.
Understood.

For the record, it was more a general warning to prevent the hypothetical from crossing over into reality.

Quote:
Are also outside of forum deals allowed?
We have no jurisdiction there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
579 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That stain on the back is unfortunate.

The number 29 written below the large 100 does not help either!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4649 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The written number "29" can be remediated....especially if it's in pencil like it appears to be. Ink is harder to repair but it can be done. I think SteveinTampa already recommended a document restoration professional.

Do not attempt to repair this yourself! Bad things can happen.
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Still In Circ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you do to try any sort of restoration your self, you maybe out of a bill that could have significant numismatic history and value. I would say, let the professionals handle it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7790 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a really cool note. Grading is a must on this one.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your suggestions and helpful comments, I really do appreciate it. I will look to find a professional who can clean up the writing on the front and maybe the ink stain on the back and look to get it graded.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked in with a professional who can clean the ink stain and they said they aren't sure until they try but it may require a chemical treatment that would show up under a black light. If that's the case is it better to remove the stain or leave it as is? Thanks again for all of your help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2294 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I gave you her name, Nancy Poli, here's her website. Simply put, she's the Best.

http://www.polirestoration.com/
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve, she is the one I checked with. If it comes down to using a chemical cleaner (she isn't sure if it will but thought it might) or leaving a stain she said I should ask a dealer which is better for grading purposes. I can find a local dealer to ask that question but you all have been so helpful I thought I would ask on this forum first.
Pillar of the Community
United States
609 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post a picture once it's graded!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05